Unusual serial number

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

seagull101

Unusual serial number

Post by seagull101 »

Just spotted this while trying to pass some time today:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks- ... 1282075849

Now i know is a mega boring motor with no interest to me, but i couldn't help notice the serial number! Any ideas?????

Jacob
Attachments
unusal  serial number.JPG
headdownarseup

Re: Unusual serial number

Post by headdownarseup »

Odd indeed Jacob

Do you think this has been engraved or is it stamped? The outboard itself looks to be something along the lines of a WSPC if the photos are accurate. Possibly a replacement set of crankcases that hadn't been stamped. (i've got a couple of sets like this with nothing on them)
The font of the numbers and letters appears quite different to anything that BS would have stamped into their crankcases for a motor of this age, although a similar font style to these in the pics i think was found in gulls from 60's, but i have been wrong before.

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Yeah, i was thinking that but if you were to replace crankcases and didnt know the number surely you would stamp something along the lines of what it was?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Depends on who's doing the repair work in the first place!

Who stamped the original cases to begin with? What do the numbers and letters actually mean that we see on the cases? A 3 character engine ident e.g WSC or better still ESC would make sense for this (look at the 3 long posts that would normally have held the baseplate in position).By the looks it originally had a CDI and got converted back to points ignition. It's possible that someone might have gone back over the original stamping and created another identity for this thing, or possibly it could be a previous owner's initials? Don't know...

Any garage could easily have done this kind of thing as well, even the local blacksmith back in the day, and i bet they didn't have a seagull spec'd set of stamps in their workshop, let alone the foresight to re-stamp with the same lettering as what they've just replaced. Easier to leave it blank rather than go to the trouble of stamping. Probably why i ended up with a couple of blank cases with a couple of mine.

Yes, it's odd.

Jon
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Now i know is a mega boring motor with no interest to me, but i couldn't help notice the serial number! Any ideas?????

Might be a private plate China
I've seen that before at my old fishing club they used to stamp them with there own postcode.....
:lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Straight answer is that this is an oddball and we don’t really know!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Looks like a spark etcher to me.

But the transom bracket poses a few questions.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

seagull101 wrote:

Jacob
I wonder would Malcolm know anything about it? User name on this very website mjn321.

search.php?author_id=2111&sr=posts
Corbeau232

Post by Corbeau232 »

Looks like the original number has been removed - look between the 4 and 1 and you will see a faint number 5.