Thank you John

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Dougelove

Thank you John

Post by Dougelove »

A little thanks goes a long way. And my thanks goes to John. For this page and the invaluable knowledge that he has on these old birds; and keeping them alive.
Hello to you all. New to the game, done a bit of canoeing with the fam and plenty of kayaking with the lads for years.
First motor though - I’m getting old and with three in a canoe it’s tough going especially when the wife paddles against you :roll:
I had perused these pages before I committed and still went ahead anyway. Half of these motors are wayyyyy older than me and still going strong, if you know what you’re doing. I don’t!!
So a quick email to John and he put me right. But he also inadvertently set me a challenge - thanks John :lol:
I wanted an occasional OB for a bit of summer fun with the little one. I happen to live on the nicest and most navigable river in the uk, and it’s free to use. On a shoestring budget I wasn’t about to get an OB for my dinghy for less than £150 but saw these seagulls for about £80ish in need of service.
I remembered way back when my grandfather taught me to respect and look after “it” and it’ll keep on going, a legacy that I’ve abided to. I’m a keeper and fixer not a chucker! He bought me a moped engine at 6 and told me to take it apart to see what was wrong with it! Months later it was back together cleaned and working. Nothing WAS wrong with it in the first place! But it showed me how things work and how to respect and keep things clean and They’ll keep going.
Since then I’ve serviced myself cars bikes models appliances etc even done a complete engine swap on my mk1 golf! Thousands saved I guess. So an old seagull can’t be too much trouble can it? There isn’t too much too them from what I understand?
Anyway I’ve bought the wrong one for the boat (3m inflatable hard floor) so John told me! But for £40 I’ll fix it if necessary and sell on or keep anyway. And now I’ve just nearly (eBay) bought the right one for £60 So I am hoping to collect them in the next few weeks. I am going to do a video step by step refurb on the one as it is needed for John as a thank you. And keep this site going. Young blood wise old knowledge. Hello again and see you soon?
Is it true they can be used as anchors too and still keep going? No I’m not going to try it - intentionally :oops:

Thank you again John.

Oh and are they really worth £250 (eBay) for a gleaming one? Or is that just a collection piece ripoff not a user!?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid; but some abuse that privilege. Before you start to judge me, Step into my shoes and walk the life I'm living and if you get as far as I am,
just maybe you will see how strong I really am.
Keith.P

Re: Thank you John

Post by Keith.P »

Welcome, so you need something different than the SJP you have, I use a 2.6m inflatable and can only run short shaft motors on it and use my little forty 1.5hp up to a 5.5hp Evinrude.
Some motors are more desirable than others, but they are not exactly that hard to fix, so a project motor can sometimes be the best way to go, but some go the other way, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/seagull-outb ... Swy6hanRwU which just makes me laugh.