Attachments
61BC3482-0D94-48A1-83B1-02ABA617BDD0.jpeg
9772F706-086D-4607-8161-0AB48654CC7D.jpeg
83223F1B-A051-4739-82DD-92CF81BAB3B5.jpeg
83223F1B-A051-4739-82DD-92CF81BAB3B5.jpeg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Hugz

Re: SD4985L3

Post by Hugz »

That is an interesting bracket Rene. Same colour as mine but yours has a pivoting top driveshaft clamp. Have you had it for long? I haven't seen it before. That makes about 5 that l know of. Anyone else have an SD side mount bracket?

Good to see you back too.

Cheers, Hugo.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Hi Hugo, the green clamp does not belong to me, it’s just a photo I found a while back, mine is the black one the previous page, it’s amazing that so few have survived, there are probably more Marston twins than side mounted SD brackets.
Funny enough I do have several SD’s with the brass mount still attached alas no bracket.

We do need to talk soon as I have some SD data for you.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Great information Rene, thank you.

Obviously with so few side mount assemblies about, It might be best if I focus my attention towards a period correct brass skeletal bracket.

Thanks again and regards
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

AusAnzani wrote: It might be best if I focus my attention towards a period correct brass skeletal bracket.
Actually the skeletal bracket is not period correct but is the closest you will get. I also surmise that when surplus army SD's hit the open market the skeletal bracket may have been ordered from BS to fit to these motors. A huge number of them have this bracket including the earliest one #61. Artur Bray and other post war chandlers may have fitted them.

Courtesy: http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2018/02 ... out-there/
Arthur Bray1.PNG
Mine
SD + sidemount.JPG
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

JERSEYMAN wrote:We do need to talk soon as I have some SD data for you.
All data appreciated René. I'll have to reacquaint myself with excel again :shock:

Thanks.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Nice motor, I like them in “working mans clothes” interesting height adjuster you have there,

Also, Hugo I seem to remember that welding mask.... in fact I sure I saw your wife wearing it....

Excel.... I’m in the same boat as you on that one, it’s easier to take a photo of hand written notes :oops:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

The height adjustor I believe is a Marston component. That motor in question was painted completely blue when l found her but she does have a steel tank someplace to reacquainted with. Interestingly none of the three steel tanks l have have any remains of a decal so there is a mystery why some have decals and others not. A theory is circulating that they were cleaned up by the likes of Arthur Bray and the decal was added then but if that was so why was the remains of the side bracket left attached to the drivetube if they where pimped up for resale? We need to find some more period photos to work out what is going on with the decals.

Yes you recognise the welding helmet René. Fortunately she wasn't a wife and her welding skills weren't acceptable so l had to let her go. It is hard to find women with welding skills these days. Their mothers have a lot to answer for.

It is surprising that so many of us Seagull owners are on forums as it is a bit of an enigma to be spanner men and puta literate. I'm sure that there are a lot more original seagull owners that wouldn't have a bar to do with a computer. I've bought a few original motors from sons who have listed motors on behalf of their Dads.

Do you have the SD questionnaire? You can print it out and pencil in the answers and photo that. You certainly won't be the first.......
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

So I've had the SD for a couple of weeks now and having been attending to it whilst also working on the Commando and a Verity. A few pics to give some idea as to the issues noted so far and the progress? made.

I thought I'd better start with the flywheel as it desperately needed some attention. Very rough to start with but now in far more acceptable condition.
IMG_5842.JPG
IMG_5872.JPG
Engine didn't feel quite right to turn albeit that there we no odd noises, and there was some compression. Open inspection revealed a hornets nest (no uncommon in Qld), moisture in the bore and stuck rings.
IMG_5877.JPG
IMG_5878.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hornets mud inside the intake and entering the barrel.
IMG_5883.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG
Rings freed up and some external cleaning before a further strip down.
IMG_5879.JPG
Was surprised to find that barrel still has much of it's external plating. Not sure now how to proceed eg oil or clear coat to help preserve or paint. Interested to get your thoughts guys, as to what course of action you have taken when faced with a similar situation.
IMG_5887.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Attending to the carburettor and magneto.

First two image shows extent of the hornets nest, carburetor intake completely blocked up and amount of mud removed ie just from the carby.
IMG_5928.JPG
IMG_5929.JPG
And after a bit of a tidy up. Carburettor doesn't clamp up tightly against the intake, so will form some thin sheet of brass to take up the slack.
IMG_5931.JPG
IMG_5935.JPG
IMG_5934.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Quick external clean of the gearbox and prop. Am yet to disassemble completely, however there are no signs of excessive wear on the shaft or bearings noted thus far.
IMG_5938.JPG
IMG_5939.JPG
On to the side mount clamp. The rear section (that fits to the transom assembly) I've never seen before. It requires a metal tube either side which the pin passes through, yet there is still some slack and that allows irregular movement which does not feel right. Any ideas?
IMG_5962.JPG
IMG_5963.JPG
IMG_5964.JPG
Look forward to your comments.

Regards,
Spiro
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Looking good Spiro, what are your plans for the tank, leave original or restore?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

seagull101 wrote:Looking good Spiro, what are your plans for the tank, leave original or restore?
If the decal was in better condition, I think I'd leave it. But, it's really poor and the tank appears to have been coated with a fish oil or similar, so it's smelly and tacky. To that end, I think the best way forward is to restore it.

Regards
Spiro