Propshaft oil seal

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Propshaft oil seal

Post by Gannet »

I have come across a V ring seal which appears to be possibly suitable for the propshaft on early non sealed gearboxes. I have fitted them instead of the thick polymer washer between the brass/bronze collar and the gearbox bearing. The seal is a tight fit on the shaft and the lip runs against the bearing face.
(Some bearing faces that I have seen have a groove across the face and obviously they are not suitable for use with this V ring seal. I suspect that these bearing are the same as the front bearing).
The advantage of these V ring seal is that unlike the thick polymer dirt seal, the lip is always in contact with the bearing face, whether the engine is running or in storage as the gap between the bronze bush and the bearing seems to be ideal for the seal.
I have used them on the early small 10/21 gearbox, but I suspect that they will also fit the bigger 10/35 gearbox. I cannot prove that they are an improvement, but they ought to reduce seepage during storage If nothing else. They are probably not as durable if the prop has a big tangle with some fishing.
I obtained some of these seals from Wych Bearings under part number V12A. They are about a £1 each depending on quantity, so they don't break the bank.

Jeremy
mauriziopiras

Re: Propshaft oil seal

Post by mauriziopiras »

Very interesting, Jeremy. This should be the V ring seal. Could you post some pictures of the ring seal fitted in the propshaft?
Regards
Maurizio
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse
mauriziopiras

Post by mauriziopiras »

Here is the V ring seal
Attachments
V-ring A.jpg
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Maurizio,

Thanks for your interest. It is hardly visible to the naked eye when installed and so I don't think a photo will help at all.

Thank you for posting a photo of a V Ring seal. Was that from the Wych Bearings web site?

Cheers,

Jeremy
mauriziopiras

Post by mauriziopiras »

Yes Jeremy,
I found the photo in the Wych Bearings website.
I will try to fit the V ring in one of my seagulls.
Cheers
Maurizio