A 102 series, before and after

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

A 102 series, before and after

Post by african imp »

This one came in as a load of junk, it went out more or less as it was originally?

Unfortunatly while the owner was delighted with my work he did not want to pay my full invoice, so this one was a loss and I am very suspect to doing this kind of work again, its rather sad really?

The full invoice which included the re chrome work cost was around 850 pounds, was that a fair price I ask?

Click on the images to enlarge them.
Attachments
IMG_2478 (1).jpg
IMG_5203.JPG
Oyster 49

Re: A 102 series, before and after

Post by Oyster 49 »

The costs can soon rack up, especially if chroming is involved :shock: Nice job though. You should have agreed the costs in advance an obtained some sort of payment up front.
Last edited by Oyster 49 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Trying to quote on a restoration such as this was would be virtually impossible, well without loading the cost to cover unknowns?

It was the unknowns that push the price up, say finding that you need a Villiers coil, they are 60.00 pounds I think?

Plus here in Hout Bay, South Africa, all parts need flying in by registered post to stop SAPO theft, then there was the duty of 20%, vat then was 14% plus the documentation fees, so it went.

On top of this is the rand currency we have is valued at around R18.00 to the Pound, it was R2.00 back in the good old days :P
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Sadly these motors are not financially feasable to restore on a commercial basis IMHO. Self restorations are more the norm but you are still doing well to get a resale value back on your investment.
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

I think you executed the restoration very well indeed Roy.

If ever i was to do something like this for a paying customer i would have asked the question before i started of how much money the customer would wish to spend and exactly which areas will get that attention. At least that way i would know where to stop.
I'm assuming this was done a few years ago, is this right?
Considering that certain parts have had to be flown into SA, overall i think the price reflects this so i think this was a fair price all things considered.

As a comparison i gave a work colleague's 40plus a quick once over last year with a total price agreed before hand. It required a replacement gearbox and a general tune up and clean etc. The chrome was fairly good to begin with so we both agreed not to mess with it. The gearbox i already had in my parts stash so that was an easy part to pick. I thought i was doing well with a small profit of 50 pounds after a small amount of paint and consumables. The rest was down to my own time, but as Hugo has mentioned already trying to do this commercially might not be feasible.

Not many folks out there consider these motors to be worth very much to begin with unless it's a motor that is well known and highly prized like the pre-war seagulls or something with a big following already.
I'm biased as i like all the 102's of all ages . Big thumbs up from me 8)

In 20-30 years from now i think a lot of these lesser known 102's and possibly a lot of the other seagulls too could be worth a bit more than they are right now which might make what Roy did seem quite cheap by comparison.
african imp

Post by african imp »

This work was done back in May 2016 and to a man who has a collection of outboards of all sorts, I was to do his British Seagulls for him he said.

So he brings me a heap of junk parts, then baulks when he is invoiced R16,000, not to worry, we probably both got a wake up call on this one?

Just taking the chrome parts to and from the platers will have taken me four hours of my time?

I charge labour at R550 per hour, about 30.00 pounds, that is not expensive?