Power sanding the flywheel

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

Power sanding the flywheel

Post by african imp »

I was recomended to fit the flywheel onto a bench grander and the sand it clean on there.

The two bench grinders I have are not suitable, one has the correct diameter shaft but the flywheel bottoms on the main body of the grinder, the other bench grinder has a shaft whish it too large.

I reverted to the power drill method, this time I fitted a long pipe to the Seagulls inlet port to ensure a supply of clean air.

Note, I always provide lots of lubricant to the motot before running it up with the power drill, there is a bonus to doing the rotation this way as the pistion compression comes up really well. :P

Thanks for the advice guys,
Attachments
IMG_2240.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG
Hugz

Re: Power sanding the flywheel

Post by Hugz »

Anytime l wish to rotate a magneto I have a crankcase and crank with the conrod barrel etc removed. A handy tool.
15500442059304575907793663247928.jpg
african imp

Post by african imp »

Hugz wrote:Anytime l wish to rotate a magneto I have a crankcase and crank with the conrod barrel etc removed. A handy tool.

15500442059304575907793663247928.jpg
Now that is a really great Idea, I have no such spare crank case myself, I will keep the idea in mind though.

As my seized 102 series power head stripping may be my next Seagull adventure that may be the source of what you have for myself?
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Roy

Could you not hold your flywheel "free hand" against a bench grinder with a wire wheel. Maybe it didn't come across all that well in the last post. It's what i do when doing any flywheel prep work ready for paint.

As per Hugo's pics, i have something similar made from an old wrecker which consists of a century type crankcase with a crank (minus the rod and piston) mounted onto a wrecked cylinder minus the cylinder head. The cylinder gets clamped into the vice. Nothing fancy but does more than one job very nicely.
african imp

Post by african imp »

blokewithaboat wrote:Roy

Could you not hold your flywheel "free hand" against a bench grinder with a wire wheel. Maybe it didn't come across all that well in the last post. It's what i do when doing any flywheel prep work ready for paint.

As per Hugo's pics, i have something similar made from an old wrecker which consists of a century type crankcase with a crank (minus the rod and piston) mounted onto a wrecked cylinder minus the cylinder head. The cylinder gets clamped into the vice. Nothing fancy but does more than one job very nicely.

Thanks on the idea!

My method of using the actual engine has seen me do four Seagulls now, the idea has worked relly well and gives a very even and smooth surface finish for the flywheel.

The unexpected bonus has been to test for a spark at the plug ( which is where the idea started ) plus as all my motors have been unused for some years, the crank and piston lubrication has bedded the piston rings in and brought the compression back up, all done while the motor was not under load.