Roys second 102 series build

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

croweater

Re: Roys second 102 series build

Post by croweater »

Well done nice Bitza you can keep an eye out for the original parts, Rob Ripley has been running one for years performs well and is very reliable. Would be interested to see how it performs on the water, all Seagulls smoke terribly in a test tank but on the back of a dinghy even at 10-1 there is hard to see any haze. Enjoyed your posts don't think this is your last motor restoration you have the bug and Seagulls will find you.
John
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Start packing that big box of bits Jon and reap the altruistic benefits. Roy has mentioned that he will pay for registered, tracked Royal Mail parcel or similar and perhaps l can suggest insurance. As per Wanted thread.
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Sorry dude, i'm all out of 46n 2jet carbs.
Even my spare bits of carbs aren't up to much either. Just spares that's it.

Just taken a load of junk seagull gearboxes and tubes etc to the tip last weekend. Nothing worth stripping for salvage as it really was terribly rusted. Most of it just scrap that i was tripping over.

Sorry Roy.
Something will turn up eventually. I might be able to help with a drive shaft and impeller if that's any help. Exact measurements will be required though. Perhaps even the clutch rod that joins from lever to clutch fork, but again exact lengths required. Can't promise anything but i will have a look and see what's left that i don't need.

Definitely not your last seagull resto.
african imp

Post by african imp »

croweater wrote:Well done nice Bitza you can keep an eye out for the original parts, Rob Ripley has been running one for years performs well and is very reliable. Would be interested to see how it performs on the water, all Seagulls smoke terribly in a test tank but on the back of a dinghy even at 10-1 there is hard to see any haze. Enjoyed your posts don't think this is your last motor restoration you have the bug and Seagulls will find you.
John

Thanks, if there is a future for this motor and its assembly it will require a drive shaft, water impellor and a propellor, no big issue really as I do not own a boat!
african imp

Post by african imp »

blokewithaboat wrote:Sorry dude, i'm all out of 46n 2jet carbs.
Even my spare bits of carbs aren't up to much either. Just spares that's it.

Just taken a load of junk seagull gearboxes and tubes etc to the tip last weekend. Nothing worth stripping for salvage as it really was terribly rusted. Most of it just scrap that i was tripping over.

Sorry Roy.
Something will turn up eventually. I might be able to help with a drive shaft and impeller if that's any help. Exact measurements will be required though. Perhaps even the clutch rod that joins from lever to clutch fork, but again exact lengths required. Can't promise anything but i will have a look and see what's left that i don't need.

Definitely not your last seagull resto.
Thanks on your kind offer, can we start with my supplying the measurements and you checking your parts stock, I would require a propellor as well.

Regards, Roy
african imp

Post by african imp »

Hugz wrote:Start packing that big box of bits Jon and reap the altruistic benefits. Roy has mentioned that he will pay for registered, tracked Royal Mail parcel or similar and perhaps l can suggest insurance. As per Wanted thread.

I have not heard from anyone on the Amal 2 jet request yet, no matter its early days, next I can try and source that throttle cable supply that you mentioned?
african imp

Post by african imp »

Next with this 102 motor is to service the clamp on engine mount that I have, right now I am using a bolt on one which will not suit the engine rack that I will be storing the 102 motor on.
Attachments
IMG_2486.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

african imp wrote:Next with this 102 motor is to service the clamp on engine mount that I have, right now I am using a bolt on one which will not suit the engine rack that I will be storing the 102 motor on.
This one came from the box of British Seagull parts that I was gifted, it looks quite old?

I need to use some heat from a gas flame to free off the lower U shaped keep as it needs to go a hole further back for the motor to stand near verical.

Having just run the motor for the last time I can report that the exhaust compression exiting the lower end of the main down tube is really strong :x
Attachments
IMG_2484.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

I guess the engine is as finished as I can get it right now?

The additions made recently have been the old style (?) engine support clamp, I needed a gas flame on it to remove the lower cross bolt and nuts, the bolt is bronze or brass and was bonding by salt big time.
Attachments
IMG_2510.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

Most if not all of the parts In need are on this 102 series, its going to be broken up, I emailed the owner yesterday but this far I have had no reply.

The tank and mount brackets would be more than acceptable as well!
Attachments
Seagull 102 Amal carb and parts in Australia.jpg
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Any idea of the engine number on that? Has a later Ali transom bracket. And a clutch. Why are they breaking it up? Seems a shame.
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Grab it Roy.
This would help you finish your project 102 for sure with spares left over for dare i say it another project for the future!

There's the carb you're looking for along with the right thumb throttle and a fuel pipe. You never know you might be able to salvage the throttle cable too while you're at it. Possibly the tiller as well if it's not bent. (that should keep Charles a bit happier at least :lol: )
Definitely a good source for the parts you still need.
You might get lucky and find the gearbox may be salvageable too. Maybe even a prop. Can't see in the pics.

Let us know how it turns out with this. Obviously if you still need parts let me know and i'll see what i can do. I definitely don't have a carb though, but some of the miscellaneous bits and bobs like G clamps for the transom mount i have a few, along with thumb throttles water pipe fittings exhaust clamps etc. I think i have a long drive shaft from something or other which you could easily cut down to whatever measurements you need for your project 102 along with an impeller from a century type motor as long as you intend to use the gearbox currently fitted on your engine as it is now. However, if you can grab this other 102 you might be better off using the gearbox assembly from that. Would be great if this other 102 has a prop too.
I keep my fingers crossed that this pays off for you.

Good luck and well done so far.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

The 102 for breaking is mine, tried selling it for ages. Sold a fair few parts off it a while back.

It was going to be a bitsa 102FNR but i never finished it, then the coil went so yeah.

Jacob
african imp

Post by african imp »

seagull101 wrote:The 102 for breaking is mine, tried selling it for ages. Sold a fair few parts off it a while back.

It was going to be a bitsa 102FNR but i never finished it, then the coil went so yeah.

Jacob
Jacob, its nice to make contact with you and by email, I will firm up on what I require today and we can then sort the price and postage out.

Regards

Roy
african imp

Post by african imp »

My cleaning of what I assume is an older type of engine support, showed that the lower cup to support the drive tube is not quite large enough to accept the tube that I have, was there a smaller diameter tube I wonder?

I have used a black plastic support cup instead.
Attachments
IMG_2496.JPG