Nice SD on eBay

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Nice SD on eBay

Post by Oyster 49 »

This is a nice looking engine, all of the rarest parts there too. Original copper coolie hat, copper SD only fuel pipe, and what looks like the the rare brass carb body and bronze float bowl top. Plus it has a steel fuel tank in good condition, correct bayonet cap, original tiller and throttle lever. Very worth bidding for in my view.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3856698544
cookie1

Re: Nice SD on eBay

Post by cookie1 »

My finger has been hovering on the bid now button since it was listed ! Is this the Navy issue ? I was looking at exhaust and gear lever . Can't really see if the bracket is complete
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The navy never actually ordered any, according to the paperwork the other Charles found during his researches, & all the ones found with traces of grey paint didn't show any greater incidence of copper tops, which on the numbers we viewed early on was less than 10%.
In those days copper tops were almost anomalies & still had the same street value!
We did see evidence that the copper tops were produced in 2 or 3 small batches

The problem seems to be, that as the copper tops started to become fashionable, & as I was re-manufacturing the aluminium & copper coolie hats for John & the Marston restorers, the copper coolie hats were selling way faster than their aluminium counterparts!

So there might be a higher percentage now than there ever was in 1945!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, we don’t really know why some engines have copper magneto covers, and brass carbs and bronze clutch levers. There is very little info regarding these engines. The “Navy Seagull” is a complete myth, with nothing found to support this myth. I’d go as far to say there is no such thing as a navy seagull. Perhaps it was just that was all that was available in 1942 and copper ones were made so the order could be completed!

Hugz is putting some good information together, which I’m sure he will share. Brass carb bodies are quite rare, but they do crop up a few times a year. Well worth having and quite a few on his register.
cookie1

Post by cookie1 »

Thanks for the info , very interesting . Perhaps these were just alternative materials used at the time ? My father bought one of these in the 60s , still in its case . Unfortunately all long gone :cry:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

It does look original. Even still has the depth collar. Cant make out the engine number but by the hex nut and starboard gearbox (I think) nipples I would say it is an early P3 one. Extended tiller arm too. My data indicates about 20% had the brass carb body. Sensible starting price.
lodgey62

Post by lodgey62 »

Hi all,hi Hugz, been off the scene for a while, motorbiking, campervaning, but noticed the aforementioned and though I'm a novice it seems pretty straight to me and I've bought it,no bracket though but I'm not too overly bothered, might even run,I don't want to do a right lot with it other than strip it,to and make sure it's in order internally ,then put it back together retaining its original patina.
Keep you all posted.
Regards
Lodgey
(Can't sell you the petrol cap off this Hugz)
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Well done. A good pick up. Did you make him an offer he can't refuse....
I thought it might end up on here so didn't hassle the seller for the details. I would like to have the engine and JM number and whether clutch lever is plain. Is that the remains of a decal on the tank? What side are the nipples.
You can be proud of that motor!
lodgey62

Post by lodgey62 »

Let you know as soon as I get it in about a weeks time. Can't wait.
I'm very proud of it and I haven't yet got it .
All the best Hugz.
Lodgey.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Excellent, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
lodgey62

Post by lodgey62 »

Picking it up on Monday night,I'll have to learn how to put pictures up on here.
Chap says the engine number is SD685P3.
Top man Hugz for identifying that.
All the best
Lodgey
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Oh good. That is the 6th oldest one known to be in captivity. It would also have a B# on the other side of the crankcase. To think that motor helped win WW2. Cherish it!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Great score and at a bargain price too.

Well done.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com