Marston 340cc Twin

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Marston 340cc Twin

Post by AusAnzani »

Just thought I'd share this in the forums.

Picture is borrowed from the "Seagull Outboard Fans" Facebook Group. Date of post, 21 June 2019.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect the location might be Michigan USA.
Marston Twin.jpg
Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Oyster 49

Re: Marston 340cc Twin

Post by Oyster 49 »

Is that the same engine that is shown on the SOs web site I wonder? It was last seen in that area of the US. I believe only 4 known to exist. Interesting to see the pics for sure.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

No it's not the same engine, though it's the same model, OB with a clutch.

Did anyone ask the owner if it was OK to use his picture on here?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I did not, considering it was posted on facebook and not another forum etc.

If you're not ok with that let me know and I'll just delete the thread.

Regards,
thcl500j6

Post by thcl500j6 »

If anyone else has pictures of a Marston twin. Please post them.
AS 99.9% of us are never ever going to see one of these. Ever.
In Australia there wouldn't even be many marston singles.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 THCL EFNRL - 1986
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I'm currently trying to compile a complete list of pictures of all the Marston models, showing all the necessary details.

As you'll understand no one wants a picture of their pride & joy, displayed to the world with several obvious jobs still left to do.

I've probably seen & have pics of more than 90% of all the known Marstons, & most of these pictures, just like the one you posted are not really suitable for for display, I was sent many of them, so I could tell the owner, what was wrong, missing & modified, so that I could add his name & the parts he needed to the Marston Register wish list.

The Marston register was initially formed so that we had details of all the known complete motors but soon after it became obvious that an OA with a dead cylinder & lower unit was really beyond economic repair & might be better being broken for spares & could help several members with their restorations.
It also made a lot of sense compiling a wish list of people who wanted to own a Marston, so if Mr. X was looking for an OP & Mr. Y was thinking of moving his on, we could put them in contact, in fact 6 Marstons have already found new homes this year & no one had to pay 10% plus for this service.

The register also help with the re-manufacture many hard to find parts, like transom screws/ pressure pads, lower unit end caps, petrol taps, air intakes, D brackets, studs & nuts & bolts, we have some very talented members it would be a shame not to use them.

So be patient all good things come to those who wait, so if you want a Marston put your name on the Wish List, there are probably 10 in your corner of the world.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles uk wrote:I'm currently trying to compile a complete list of pictures of all the Marston models, showing all the necessary details.

As you'll understand no one wants a picture of their pride & joy, displayed to the world with several obvious jobs still left to do.

The image was posted by the owner in the public domain for all to see. If there are no copyrights, there are no restrictions on sharing elsewhere. That said, I have reached out to him, have let him know that I have already shared the image here, and have offered to remove it if he is not comfortable. Forgiveness principle!
Charles uk wrote:I've probably seen & have pics of more than 90% of all the known Marstons, & most of these pictures, just like the one you posted are not really suitable for for display, I was sent many of them, so I could tell the owner, what was wrong, missing & modified, so that I could add his name & the parts he needed to the Marston Register wish list.

The Marston register was initially formed so that we had details of all the known complete motors but soon after it became obvious that an OA with a dead cylinder & lower unit was really beyond economic repair & might be better being broken for spares & could help several members with their restorations.

It also made a lot of sense compiling a wish list of people who wanted to own a Marston, so if Mr. X was looking for an OP & Mr. Y was thinking of moving his on, we could put them in contact, in fact 6 Marstons have already found new homes this year & no one had to pay 10% plus for this service.

The register also help with the re-manufacture many hard to find parts, like transom screws/ pressure pads, lower unit end caps, petrol taps, air intakes, D brackets, studs & nuts & bolts, we have some very talented members it would be a shame not to use them.

So be patient all good things come to those who wait, so if you want a Marston put your name on the Wish List, there are probably 10 in your corner of the world.
I suspect the owner will be aware of the Marston register. If you want his details, I can share that also, but will do so only with his approval. Alternatively, you can provide permission for me to pass on yours.

Regards,
S
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

By all means pass on my details.

There are around 10 Known Marstons in the US & I've only ever had 1 email from an owner telling me he'd sold his & that he'd passed our details on to the new custodian, but other than that one they just seem to disappear into a black hole.

I'd really like the serial number & pictures of all sides of the powerhead & clutch & good pictures of the lower unit & prop, any details we're given will be treated as confidential & never broadcast without the owner's permission.

Many thanks.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles, approval to leave the image here (and to post it anywhere else I consider appropriate) has been received.

I have asked the owner if he is aware of the register and if he would like your details to converse further with you about that.

In anticipation of a positive response, please send me your details via pm.

Be aware also that I will likely request additional photos of the owner to post here for all to see.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Here's a bit more info Charles. You may already have this on your register.
Spiro mine is the one that Tom G had when he was in Indiana. He sold it to Walt P in Wisconsin. I bought it from the estate sale. It's the only one I know of in the US .
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Thanks I do the same guy had a Cross Radial
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles uk wrote:Thanks I do the same guy had a Cross Radial
Cool, I have requested additional photos to post here.

There was a cross radial advertised for sale in the US a while back, asking $20k. There has also been one found in Australia recently, original and unrestored. Not for sale!
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

:shock:
Attachments
E1A938C2-41FC-42AE-A6AF-4D3AC6DE4E10.jpeg
201D5CF3-FD62-4115-A3C1-5DBE7EB0E3CF.jpeg
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

So it is the same engine that features on the SOS website. So not a new find, just the same engine re-emerging. 8)