Spark plug diagnostic / sea trials

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

andrew
Site Admin

Spark plug diagnostic / sea trials

Post by andrew »

Finally got to take one of my small gulls out for a sea trial this weekend. 3 minutes in and the tap was leaking fuel and then the prop stops spinning while power head purring smoothly. Hmmm.

Back to the dock for a check and found two surprises. Firstly the fuel cork was not a cork at all, but perhaps some type of decomposed silicone. Like thick jelly, probably decomposed by fuel over the years, I always wonder who makes these sorts of repairs! I had fully stripped this motor last year and I always check the taps, so I must have simply put back on the wrong tap. Easy fix with a new cork but thought the forum may like to see another failed fix.
AA1FEDC2-9419-48FA-ABF4-C2DE0EF83FA5.jpeg
Next up, the gearbox. Originally I thought the spring had gone, but turns out I had forgotten to install the thrust washer, so the pinion gear was not engaging. Rookie move! Luckily no observed damage to the teeth and also an easy fix, so back in the water it went.

This time it ran amazingly well. No issues for 90 minutes of running. It idles at perhaps the lowest I have ever seen a gull manage, and the full throttle range is smooth. No smoke whatsoever. Water coming out was so cool I felt the cylinder about an hour into running, it was warm to the touch but not hot, which always amazes me. Pushed the family of 4 in a punt effortlessly the whole time.

So onto my question. I’m sure this has been covered plenty, but the search feature is a bit tricky on the forum. Below is a pic of the spark plug, which was a new champion d16 properly gapped and run for about 90 minutes. Can anyone give feedback on the plug condition or point me to a thread that can?
F22E306C-545D-4784-9CB9-BA6F44C12DA9.jpeg
Thanks all!
Nudge

Re: Spark plug diagnostic / sea trials

Post by Nudge »

Plug looks good to me! Nice colour
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Silver Surfer

Re: Spark plug diagnostic / sea trials

Post by Silver Surfer »

With you saying the engine was 'running cool' that would explain the slight oil residue on the threads and barrel of the Plug. The actual combustion zone colour at the tip seems to be more or less perfect. I wouldn't stress about it. 8)