SD 102

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: SD 102

Post by Charles uk »

Yes it does, but isn't this decal identical to the decal on the AC/ AD & the C/D series?

So there is the possibility that this decal could have used when the Arthur Brays of this world were unmilitaryising their army surplus stockpile.

Perhaps we should be asking if anyone who removed the green or grey paint from a steel bayonet tank found any traces of a decal on their tank or even a fuel ratio transfer.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Quite right Oyster, i personally think that they always had decals as the crated one clearly does have one and that is 100% untouched and no doubt about it, also as it has the military bracket its clear that it was planned to be used for military use.

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Does anyone know where the crated one ended up?

Unfortunately they all had military brackets, check the parts list.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

No. I've been chasing the ebay seller but he wont reply. Seeing l was the highest bidder before he pulled the listing l'm not impressed.

It will turn up.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

We have an interesting dilemma. What do we call these copper and brass SD's? We use to name them as naval but that was incorrect. They then became coppertops but Jacob's and this new one are coppertops with both having the ali coolie hat! Bet the crated one had an ali coolie hat too.

Interesting the crated one's crate was stamped May 1964. Were the Arthur Bray's of the world operating then? All three have the brass tank mounts and all three were deceased estates..... maybe they are cursed :shock: :lol:

Oral history of the latest one is that the father of the seller was "a military guy" who got it from the army.
8.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Well, we know the army were using seagulls in the early sixties, as there is online video of the army assisting in the floods in Northern Germany in 1962. So having engines in the stores in 1964 is quite likely. I wonder when the army finally stopped using them?

Re the naming issue, to me an SD is an SD. Some just happened to have slightly different bits fitted. Why that is is still a mystery of course. I'm still thinking that it's just what was available at the time? Brass carb bodies, copper magneto covers, bronze carb tops, bronze clutch lever. I doubt we will ever know! However it is good to chat about it 8)
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Arthur Bray Ltd still exists as a company too, however it is now a commercial property company.

http://www.arthurbray.co.uk/about_us.html

I'm sure Charles P will know more about the Arthur Bray company in the post war period. Obviously Poole based and close to British Seagull. Interesting.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Just having a thumb through some old paperwork i received recently (thanks Jacob) over what the extent of the finish level was with some of these SD's. It might give us a better idea with what's what.

I'm loathed to upload the whole lot, but i'm willing to share a couple of pages with you if you like :P

Wanna see?

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Just having a thumb through some old paperwork i received recently (thanks Jacob) over what the extent of the finish level was with some of these SD's. It might give us a better idea with what's what.

I'm loathed to upload the whole lot, but i'm willing to share a couple of pages with you if you like :P

Wanna see?

Jon
Yes we Wanna See, That and all the other data you have would be good!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

"I'm sure Charles P will know more about the Arthur Bray company in the post war period. Obviously Poole based and close to British Seagull."

Sadly I'm afraid I don't!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

How can that be, you are the master! :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Arthur Bray were outboard dealers somewhere in the London area until the very late 50's when they moved to Sandbanks Poole if I remember right, there should be several of their adds somewhere on here, that should have an address.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes they supplied Marstons in the 1930s I think. From their website:

Our History: -

Arthur Bray Ltd had its origins in the marine industry; Arthur Bray himself was a pioneer in early automobile and motor boat racing. This led him to become involved in selling motor boats, notably Chris-Craft speedboats from the USA and the superlative Italian Riva motor boats.

He served in the Royal Navy, and was in charge of a 50 foot torpedo boat patrolling the English channel during World War I.

His achievements include serving as vice-commodore of the British Motor Boat Club, and as part of his long involvement in competitive motor boating he broke the 24 sea-mile record in Poole Harbour in 1934, with a speed of 36.55 mph.

The company was started in the late 1920s - importing and selling motor boats.

Initially they had a showroom in Baker Street in London, before relocating to Poole after World War II.

In 1964, they moved to 4 West Quay Road, where they held the exclusive UK agencies for a number of prestigious brands; Chris-Craft, Riva and Mercury Outboards, amongst others.

The Burt Family purchased Arthur Bray Ltd from the directors of the David Brown Corporation in early 1970, and purchased the yard the following year, continuing to run a boat yard and marine related businesses there until the middle 1990s.

Having had spare space on site beyond what the Arthur Bray companies needed to run their operations, unoccupied buildings were offered as units to rent. This has continued over the intervening 40 or so years, with all sorts of businesses and occupants on site over that period.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

New posting has been put up in the general topics showing 1944 wartime paperwork if anyone's interested :P

Might help answer a few things.

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Seagu ... 2193311731

Re this SD1581P3

If anyone is interested in buying it is one of the last of the early "P" series with ali tank mounts and plain clutch lever etc. No CEISS stamp but machine gearbox/cap numbers. But more interesting is that the seller bought it as a job lot 15 years ago from a deceased estate. It lived in a timber boat house on the river Trent where it had resided for many decades. If you wish to buy an early "P" SD that has had a mostly fresh water habitat this would be a good one. Usual problem with coil and the cap needs repair/replacement. A nice find :)