Assorted bits

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Re: Assorted bits

Post by Hugz »

Not FNR bracket. Just the later Ali transom bracket though the FNR does use it. That's a direct drive motor in pic and yep standard.

Tried to make a Mk2 to look like a Mk1 but the nut doesn't thread down far enough for safety.
mk2 to mk1.JPG
I have no problem running mk1's. Actually on the Murray 2,000 K trip a Mk2 went kaput and I have heard of it before. Take a spare magneto with you.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

My ED is the same as Hugo's except mine has a recoil and long range steel tank,Mine is a 1993. I'm pretty sure yours is a MK3 ignition Hugo.
I've also got the model 90/110 bracket.

Jacob
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

Yep, an old chap I bought some bits off in Norfolk (who had a very interesting shed) referred to Wipac items as Wipacup...funny guy. Everything will go wrong eventually, use the search term 'entropy' for more info.

Still, you are at least helping me to decide what to do with them.

Again, thanks to Hugz for the input.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The Wipac points ignition Mk2 is a very good, reliable magneto system, that seems to last very well, ask John Williams what he thinks, some of this might be due to the fact that they are younger than the Villiers, & fully sealed except the points.

If I was planning a Murry trip I'd be taking a Wipac over a Villiers every time.

The deciding factor between the Mk3 & Mk4 on an ED was the year of manufacture, if you've got a 93 with a Mk3 it's been changed.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
fleetingcontact

Well ok! So a fully electronic ignition on a 102 not entirely unheard of. Good to know.

Seriously people I am literally giving these things away, unless you want me to package and post them, in which case some beer money would be nice.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Will remove my ED's flywheel cover and recoil tomorrow and see if there is a groove in the flywheel.
Sorry Martin if we have hijacked your thread.

Jacob
fleetingcontact

That's ok Jacob, not staying on topic is a problem for several different groups in society. But any tech info is always interesting. :lol:
fleetingcontact

Good morning Seagull buddies.

I want to tell you I am having a really good day. I have so far cleaned up two long-range tanks, one fairly dented but will do nicely for a 'don't care if it gets another dent' general-use thing (which seems to be mildly rare - it bolts straight onto a 40 head with no support bracket, or should it have one?) and another I recently bought which is damn-near perfect. But not perfect. I have also put a nice Century bracket together from bits in my spares bin. I had all the bits! Nothing missing! Result! I have sorted out all the jumbled-up bits into various boxes. Took ages. And, for an encore, I thought I'd try to salvage what I could from the three Mk1 magnetos I offered for nothing to anyone who wanted them (bar the postage) before I chucked them.

Remember this?

"Two mk1 generators. No idea if they work or not. Flywheels as well of course, but if you want them bear in mind it's going to amp-up the postage something horrible."

And this?

"I have a mate close(ish) to you who could pick up no problem."

And finally this:

"I don't want these damn things, I just can't bring myself to chuck them in the bin (they're not making any more of them after all) so why don't you send your mate over anyway because if they hang around too long the bin is where they will go."

There was a lot of pious guff concerning terminology too, as I recall.

Well, today I noticed while extracting the coils, that one of them is...wait for it...flangeless. I just hadn't noticed. And there I was trying to recycle something from what was to me worthless junk for the greater good of the world of Seagull. Funny old world ain't it? Now I have three coils, three sets of coil cheeks, three points boxes, one very good Mk1 flywheel, and one flangeless baseplate. Let me say that again. Flangeless baseplate. Ooh. Suits you. I think these things may well enhance my nascent 102...

Weather warning: there is a large cloud of smug over Kent today.

And the moral of this story? Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. :lol:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

You do a good Frank Spencer interpretation. You should be on the stage. :lol:
fleetingcontact

Frank Spencer? Has Oz not moved beyond the 70s? Actually I can believe that... Look up 'The Fast Show' on youtube. Please. :lol:

Seriously, I've been a bit worried Jon & others may take offense at my venting of spleen. So if anybody was, Jon especially, then I apologise.

In truth, I was on a bit of a high this morning - everything I did went according to plan, and when I actually bothered to examine the mags closely, I was sore amazed. I can only assume that the flangeless item was on my latest aquisition which was a minger of an SJP. It had some other great bits like a decent chrome-on-brass exhaust tube, a nice villiers carb, complete bracket in nice order, but a pig of a gearbox, knackered prop, rusty driveshaft tube, horrid fuel tank, etc. My attention was solely on these bits and the only way I looked at the mag was in terms of 'how fast can I get it to let go of the crank' (which was also good).

I have to say I wasn't really interested in the lecture on ignition types and I only kept going with it because I was hoping that someone would take the offer up... I only noticed a difference in the base (stator?) plates as I was dissecting them. And the only reason I was doing that was because I hoped somebody might find the idea of individual components a more appealing proposition. Que surprise.

However, you lot are the worst when it comes to staying on topic. it's enough to make St. Francis of Assisi kick babies... :lol:

Martin.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If no one says anything critical we will never know when we're boring the pants off everyone, or talking complete rubbish, I think we're all grown ups & I promise I won't throw my toys out of my pram.
fleetingcontact

Why thank you Charles! But if I complained all the time or even ervery third time it would get tiresome quickly I think.

One question I thought of (well two actually) for you: if I wanted to check tolerances and such, do I need anything beyound a micrometer, and would you reccomend metric or imperial in this case?

Thanks
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That's not so easy, you need to measure accurately the internal diameter of the bronze bearings, the ideal device would be a three legged bore mic & they cost a fortune second hand, 1/2" for the lower unit, & 5/8" for the main bearings. I only have one, a 2.25" one, for measuring 102cc bores & that was more than £100 second hand many years ago but have access to the full range 10 to 100mm at a local engineering company. I use both metric & imperial micrometers, big ends can be measured with Plastigauge, but that will entail removing the con rod twice.

Ask Father Christmas for a digital vernier they range between £25 to £125, that will show you how much your kids care!
I couldn't live without at least 1.

Worn main bearings can show up by rattling the flywheel from side to side & front to back.

Most Seagull owners only fix things when they break, not when they're getting worn, & they last a long time under that maintenance regime!

Seagull probably made more than 250,000 102's so we won't run short of them this year.

I promise I won't correct any of your posts if they're accurate.
fleetingcontact

But it's not just a 102 I have..there are four for sure...SC+(maybe a 70) excellent condition, 40+ clutched, excellent but engine number doesn't match the spec, 40+ fixed (a little bitsa-ish but nice), and latterly the 102 which is shaping up nicely. Maybe also a model 90 as I have 70% of the bits needed.

But I also have a big box of bits that I'm trying to turn into whole things (I try to recycle everything), so at least three more 40 motors and another SC too. But especially with the spare SC lump I have my doubts about the worthiness of the crank / con-rod etc. They are sometimes being put together from bits that didn't leave the factory together, although I've tried to keep cranks with cases. I'm doing my best to do a decent job of them all (some cylinders have been re-honed, sometimes new rings, piston circlips, everything as clean as I can make it amongst other prep - all obvious stuff like that), but in the end it's all used parts. The biggest question mark has to be bushes & bearings. To be able to say from data which one appears most likely to succeed (and which one sucks) would be good. I've spent a fair bit on nice tools already, so a bit more is a case of 'in for a penny' etc.

Correct away. Ignorance is worse. :P
fleetingcontact

Recommend a brand please.