Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Marston Tank

Post by Keith.P »

Charles uk

Re: Marston Tank

Post by Charles uk »

No I don't, thanks for that Keith. Don't know who's bidding, nobody on the wish list for one.

Nice early (pre 35) 78cc tank with good transfers & with the original tap, cap & rubbers!

If anyone's talking to the vendor ask if it's got baffles.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I need a good set of clear photographs of the decals that i might be able to copy for mine (ex A-J's)
This tank is in very nice condition considering its age.

Anyone heard from H-A recently as i'd like to talk to him about re-doing these older decals.Mine hasn't got anything left of the decal so i'm going to have to start from scratch.
Here's hoping...

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Why when you could just buy the decal.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I know i could buy a decal, but are they a good copy of the originals? Do they match perfectly?
If a jobs worth doing right, its worth doing properly in the first place.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Yes I have made my own decals in the past and no its not easy, its not something you can do yourself at home on a printer and if you don't have an original tank logo at hand, it will be no better than any other, good luck with that one.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

New decals can be designed at home and there are several people doing these nowadays, particularly to serve classic car, motorcycle, lawn mowers, stationary engines etc.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Can you send me a link or some details Oyster as i'd like to pursue this further.

First things first though, i need a good clear set of photographs to start from that show both sides of the tank in detail.

Anyone?

Jon
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I would like to know also please. Software being the most important part. Printing can be left to the experts.

Have recreated several decals thus far using basic software tools such as MS Powerpoint etc, but they are never quite the same as the originals ie particularly when unique font styles and graphics are involved. Huge time investment required, for example I have approx. 22 hours in this Gold Cheetah reproduction decal. Sections of the original I copied from were missing so I had to improvise there. I also had to improvise the dots on the Cheetahs coat as it was impossible to copy those from the original decal ie due to their size and varying shape. End result is close to the original but not identical to.

Reproduction artwork
Cheetah Decal BW.gif
And printed on to extra thin layer of Gold Vinyl. I have printers use this because it is of similar thickness to the original decals which were generally water slide, and because it forms easily around surfaces that are not flat.
IMG_2368.JPG
Lots of time and patience required.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

There is a number of ways to do them, find the matching font and reproduce, but you cannot use picture formats like Jpeg, it's never sharp enough, that's why I always use CAD software as you can do 3D as well as 2D.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Right then Keith, how do you fancy reproducing a decal for me. I'm utterly useless with computers, let alone anything like what's involved with this.
You seem to be the resident CAD expert on here, what with all your other drawings you've uploaded in the past. (and very well done they are too)
So, how about it! Nudge nudge wink wink.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Right then Keith, how do you fancy reproducing a decal for me.
Not really, if one is available already, me making another is no guarantee it is going to be any better, plus it's going to be an expensive one off decal.
As you have already said, I would need a very good picture of the tank logo and it is still not as good as having the real thing at hand, that's the only way to get a perfect decal.
Is this tank decal the right one for your motor?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It should be a flying seagull on my one.

I have no idea what it should be as i can't find any decent pictures yet.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome to the world of pre war outboards. Not a lot of information available and things like decals have to developed from scratch. These things cost I'm afraid. Nature of the beast.... and all part of the fun.

Like I mentioned before the decals I developed for little 40 cost me around £70 to get the first couple produced. I did those on a PowerPoint slide to print off on paper first, to see how they looked, then tweaked them a bit to get the final "look" I then got David Sharp (sharpie on eBay) to produce the first off for me. John now sells the same ones which turned out ok.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Any use?
Attachments
decal.jpg