Seagull 40 Plus Two Overhauled

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bawar1
Seagull 40 Plus Two Overhauled

Post by bawar1 »

Point of interest just finished overhauling 2 40 Plus Seagulls one with a Bing Carb and one with Villiers Carb. Cooling water bit reluctant to run on both at first and then a trickle.I introduced some Radflush into the water in my Test bin a small quantity and the flow improved no end I could see the sludge coming out of both engines and they are now running like watches. This Radflush also has the propery of preventing rust in cooling systems. Just thought it is a good tip and would also prevent rust formation in the future intend to flush them both in the same solution after running in salt water. Note this is Radflush not to be confused with Radweld which has different properties although I cannot see any harm in using this as it has rust preventitive properties.Any comments would be interesting.
Hugz

Re: Seagull 40 Plus Two Overhauled

Post by Hugz »

Now that makes a lot of sense. Good idea!
Vic

Post by Vic »

I introduced some Radflush
This is which product precisely.

I find on Halfords website,
  • Holts Speedflush,
  • Holts Radflush 2step. As its name implies a two step process.
  • Bars Radiator Flush Cooling System Cleaner
bawar1

Post by bawar1 »

Hi
Sorry should have been more specific it is BARS Radiator flush for cooling systems I cannot see any reason why it would do any long term harm to any cooling system and should reduce rust formation.But please make you own decision on its use I have not had any problems as yet.
Waggles

Post by Waggles »

Seems sensible to me as long as the product is suitable for iron heads ( just thinking some products may be geared to modern 'all alloy' engines these days and so not be quite as good for gulls perhaps? )

Just to add to this thread I have recently got hold of a product called 'Salt exterminator' its a detergent like substance that is supposed to dissolve salt deposits and leave a protective coating too, much like rad flush. It was quite expensive at about £15 / gallon but it is concentrated and you dilute 1 in 70 for use. Almost makes it worth using in your wheely bin!

Again the comment about being more suitable for modern alloy outboards applies equally so it may not be quite so good for iron.

No comments yet on its effectiveness and my 40 is very clean internally anyway, but time will tell.