Century 90

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Kevin O Connor

Re: Century 90

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Ok. I have taken the two ends off and the gear at the front end, i.e. where the filler cap is, has a collar which goes on to the shaft. my problem is, I don't know if the collar goes on the shaft before the gear or after it, i.e. between the gear and the brass ring which is in the front cover, just under the filler hole. Hope you know what I'm talking about ! :lol:
Thanks for all the help so far.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Do you mean this? As you see it in the pics is how it goes back together

There's also a bronze collar that sits between the pivot which pushes/pulls the prop shaft fore/aft giving the fnr gears. By removing this bronze collar will allow the removal of the rear most gear (reverse gear in this case)
Attachments
rear cover removed showing the pivot and "plungers" and the bronze collar fitted onto the prop shaft.
rear cover removed showing the pivot and "plungers" and the bronze collar fitted onto the prop shaft.
difficult to see in the pics but between the gear and the front cover is a very thick washer,almost the same size as a collar.
difficult to see in the pics but between the gear and the front cover is a very thick washer,almost the same size as a collar.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

maybe this will help,

#43 Forward thrust washer
seagul051.jpg
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Thanks lads, I can see from the photos and diagram where it goes, and I think I have discovered what my problem is. There is no retaining pin in my forward gear. The hole is in the neck of the gear, but the pin is missing. I can't figure out how it worked at all with the pin missing, but it did for a short while after getting it back from Classic seagulls. Maybe it is a good job they are in a different country, or I might be tempted to stick it somewhere that would make it uncomfortable for them to sit down ! :lol:
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Classic Seagulls if truly "Classic" would be keeping tabs on whatever posts go down mentioning them on SOS?

That is what search bots do.....update browser searches.

Well help here is free and they must have a internet site that is only for revenue...not a "Classic" interest aye.

If someone typed in that Saving Old Seagulls for help and advice is superior to Classic Seagulls... a search bot would pick that up in about two scans of SOS.

They are scanning now...... :oops:

Everyone has done very well as above replies of course.

Cheers

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

This may just be a coincidence, but I got an E-Mail from them yesterday, advertising their new services, and postal system. Funny enough I have not had any E-Mails from them for the past two years, since they did the "job" on my engine. :evil:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

No "pins" on the gears. There is however a drive dog that sits in between both gears. If the gears are too far apart there won't be any drive just a lot of grinding and odd noises! Both gears are supposed to spin freely on the prop shaft.
Check the positioning of the THICK thrust washer (looks the same size as a bronze collar).
Starting from the front (and assuming you have the reverse gear wheel fitted onto the shaft) the forward gear goes on, then the thick thrust washer, and then the rear cover and bolts.

Something not right here?

The prop shaft should be able to be pulled/pushed in and out (will be quite stiff) then turn the pinion to double check which rotation it's going in.
If the thrust washer is not in place correctly, the gear will just spin without engaging to the pinion.
Check and double check everything before you button it up for good.

Any more pics of the internals with the end cap removed?

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Just looked at the diagram again. The pin I was talking about was for the clutch dog. The hole in the neck of the gear confused me. I assume now it is to allow oil pass though it on to the shaft. Good job this is all done by internet, cos I can't hear all the laughing ! :lol:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Dont worry, cos we've all made mistakes in the past.
I'm no exception!!!

Take your time with it and study any diagrams you have of these boxes.
They're not too difficult to get your head around once you know where everything goes.
Oil is a very important factor with these. No oil will lead to corrosion and heavy wear on all the components inside. (check your oil seals carefully)
Nice when they're running smoothly and very handy with a reverse gear too.

Best of luck

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

O.K. I tried everything and couldn't get it to work .properly. So gave up and brought it to a mechanic mate who stripped it down and discovered a tooth broken on the end of the drive shaft cog. He put it back together but it still won't go into forward gear. So am now in the market for a new gearbox. One other thing, the small threaded link on the rod has become worn and slips off when I try to get gear. :roll:
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

there is a box on UK Ebay, its about 45 pounds, i haven't bought it as the freight to OZ is about four times that.
Sorry don't know its condition, but good luck with the motor mate.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Thanks, I saw that, but the postage they want to post it to Ireland is 70 euro, the box its self is 50 euro, postage rip off !
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Decided to have another go at this gear box. looking at the diagram I see that I need a new bevel pinion. There is at least two teeth broken on my one.
Any idea where I might get one ?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Have you tried John Williams at SOS. He sponsors this site, and stocks many spares. He might even have a complete gearbox.
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

I am hoping it won't need a new gear box. The pinion is on the end of the drive shaft.