Gas leaking from carb, tap shut

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Cranky1

Gas leaking from carb, tap shut

Post by Cranky1 »

Hello,
I recently took my Silver Century WSl 115JJ4 out of storage, tuned it up and got it running. The fuel tap leaked at first, but after boiling for the suggested time and greasing, it seemed to hold well enough, although I had not filled the Extra Long Range Tank completely. I put it in position on the side mount of our IOD & filled the tank full. After running it hard for about an hour to get into the main of San Francisco Bay we decided to hoist sail and try to find some wind. I closed the fuel tap, ran it till it stopped, removed the engine from the side mount and lay it propeller and tank down on the sole of the cabin. When I checked a few minutes later it was dribbling gas from the carburettor into the very deep bilge, it didn't stop till I put it back into the vertical position to power us back to the slip. This is not a good scenario. My question: is the fuel tap faulty and responsible for the leakage or is there something in the carb that is not sealing as well? Thanks for any and all help.
Hugz

Re: Gas leaking from carb, tap shut

Post by Hugz »

That sounds pretty normal. By running the motor "until the carb is dry" is a bit of a myth as you are actually running it until the fuel line is dry and the float in the float bowl drops to the level that the needle valve closes the intake jet. Tip it sideways and the fuel will run back up. Either drop the bowl and drain or position with drain hole up. I'm a bit rusty on the modern seagulls. Which carby has it? Just had a look at an early amal on a SD and the tell tale hole faces back which would leak if placed tank down but if I turned 180 degrees will be ok.

(a few minutes later) Just looked at a later amal and yes hole faces back and will leak. But the bowl can be swung 180 degrees which will face forward and up if placed tank down. Has it the original fuel line? ... which dictates which side the bowl is.

Even so the amount left in the bottom of the bowl below where the fuel flows across to the main body is a very small amount.

Photos please.
Last edited by Hugz on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I suppose you mean "Petrol", "gasolene" or liquid.

If a Gull fuel tap is rarely used.....they leak. Yep, they do.

Suggest fitting something else if leakage is a problem. Plastic modern or Brass "pet - cock" style older.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Poorly maintained Seagull fuel taps will leak after 15 years or so, can't remember the cost of the tap repair kit but I'd guess it works out less than £00.20 a year.

Most Seagull users/racers carry a couple of corks pickled a few drips of two stroke oil in a small ziplock bag in their toolkit.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Boiling of the cork will only be a short term fix, the corks do shrink and dry out if not used and can also shrink and split. As Charles says , invest in a new cork!
Cranky1

Post by Cranky1 »

Thanks to all replies. This forum really works!!!!!
The dribble was non-stop until turned vertical (even then it may have continued if not running).
I will invest in a new cork. And an extra kept in oil in the tool box as well.
I will see about rotating the carb bowl. I do still have the original fuel line.
Thanks again!!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

You may wish to consider changing the washers on the gas cap and breather.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

More than 10 years ago I went to visit your local Seagull distributor in SF his name was Sean & had a Plant Hire company, with a Seagull service/spares running alongside in a tourist walk to from central SF location.

His first born was quite new, I'm sure he will tell you when that was, but he was carrying a good selection of new spare parts & if he's still there he should be able to help as he knew his stuff, was a nice chap & had time to talk Seagull rubbish with a limey!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Cranky1

Post by Cranky1 »

Charles et al,
I finally got round to purchasing all the above suggested parts. I followed your advice, Charles, and looked up my hometown distributor. He was very surprised to have a “walk-in” Seagull purchaser, but as you said, He is a very nice fellow and he did remember your visit, and you by name!
He took over the Seagull Distributorship from Bob Javarian whom he had helped out often as Bob’s health failed. Bob taught small engine repair at the local public vocational high school, ran a full time outboard sales and repair shop-Seagulls and OMC, and had amassed one of the finest collection of outboard motors. A veritable museum divided into pre-WWII and post –WWII. His collection included the infamous “Sea-Cow”, not lovingly mentioned in John Steinbeck’s, Log from the Sea of Cortez.
Bob had mentored me as I repaired my Seagull when it no longer passed water. He told me to remove the head and scrape out the buildup in the coolant passages. When I cracked the block, as I chipped instead of scraped, he graciously found a used block, and forgave me for being “a knucklehead”. He was a compulsive teacher with lots of heart. RIP, Bob.
So I have come full circle, even though it took me across the Atlantic and back to the supplier from my original supplier.
Thanks Again
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Thats a great story 8)