Loose fuel pump

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

scottpeterd

Loose fuel pump

Post by scottpeterd »

Hi,

New to the forum. I've got a QB Kingfisher on my sailboat in Lake Victoria, Uganda.

I use it as an emergency kicker on my 9.7m Alpa sailboat.

It presently has a hard time running. One thing I've noticed is that the fuel pump mounting is very loose. I have removed the 'top' half of the pump, and found the screw inside that fastens it to the post on the engine. The screw seems to be seized, as I cannot remove it.

My questions:

- Is the pump supposed to be tightly attached to the body of the engine?
- How does the pump operate? If is pressure driven or mechanically driven? I cannot see anything that would physically move the diphragm (like a plunger).

All I know is that I get very little fuel flow thought it. That seems my starting point to no power on the engine.

Cheers
Charles uk

Re: Loose fuel pump

Post by Charles uk »

There is a lock nut on the other end of that centre screw inside of the fuel pump, that is underneath the flywheel, the vacuum feed for the pump runs down the centre of this screw, so remove recoil starter, remove flywheel, remove fuel pump, clean up everything & replace everything with a light wipe of RTV sealant, so your not loosing the vacuum impulse that powers the fuel pump, & don't forget to tighten the lock nut or it will vibrate loose again.

Use a little bit of Loctite both ends, so the ally spacer under the recoil starter cup does not slip when tightening the flywheel nut. Don't get any near the flywheel taper.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.