throttle cable and controls

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

deacon bruce

throttle cable and controls

Post by deacon bruce »

Am running Amal 416 on my bodgered CPCL and it runs quite well. BUT, the tiller and carburetor are on opposite sides of the block. Thus the throttle cable is in severe danger of encountering the flywheel. Any suggestions?

Also encountering the following concerns and questions:

How does one detach the throttle cable end from the throttle valve piston?

Can I fabricate a longer cable?

The throttle control lever broke so I modified a bicycle gear shift lever to work. It has worked very well.

When I raise the tiller arm, the cable kinks.
Keith.P

Re: throttle cable and controls

Post by Keith.P »

The cable is located in the side of the carburettor slide (valve piston), remove slide from the carburettor, hold top of carb and cable, push the slide against the spring to push the cable out of the bottom of the slide.
Remove the cable adjuster from the top of the carb, this will let you remove the cable completely.
If you have a hole at the top of the tiller that the cable runs though, this will damage the cable, use a cable tie instead.
Options, get a seagull cable or fabricate a new cable, from a bicycle shop add in the old adjuster and lead or solder the end of the cable.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I make up my own cables, The inner is stainless steel fishing wire (shark trace). cross drill a piece of 1/4" copper pipe for the trottle end and solder it to the cable. for the carb end I use a smaller copper tube soldered to the cable or just build up a blob of solder on the end of the cable.
Just remember to have the cable inside the outer (bike brake cable outer) before you do the second end! :oops:
If you are still unsure I can get some pics.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
deacon bruce

Post by deacon bruce »

Pics please. Bike cables have throttle end already attached. Carb end can probably have the blob you suggest. But, inner cable must be longer than sheath. How does one get the two lengths proper. Sheath can be any length, inner cable must be longer. Older (seasoned and experienced) mind here sometimes can't see the obvious, which you of course can tell me (self deprecatory joke here a la Rodney Dangerfield).

TYVM
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Heaps of advice on previous threads. Click on magnifying glass and search throttle cable.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

A few pics and sizes.
I make the cable quite long for two reasons, 1 it keeps the cable away from the flywheel, 2 I need it longer than normal so it can be hooked into the remote throtle on my 20 footer.
IMG_1197.JPG
even if the tiller is tilted up or down the cable can't touch the flywheel.
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
the first thing you need to do is work out how long you want the outer and where you want it to sit.

The cross drilled copper pipe soldered on the end of the cable
IMG_1200.JPG
The copper tube needs to be 6mm dia (I start with 1/4" and fileit smaller) and 3mm in height
The other end needs to be able to fit air slider so make that end 3mm dia and 4mm long
IMG_1201.JPG
Last edited by Nudge on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

As long as the small end fits into the hole and lokes in place that is all that matters
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
Make the inner cable 76mm longer than the outer.
IMG_1205.JPG
"THE KING OF BLING"!
deacon bruce

Post by deacon bruce »

MANY thanks. Especially for pointing me to how to search forum without making me feel a complete idiot.

Great pics
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I use blue tack to make an easy mold

I tin the wire first and then then blob in a bit of solid solder with heat to give the correct shape. May need a few strokes of a file. I start with it a bit longer and then redo it to get perfect length. Nudge is a little more advanced than me with measurements :lol:

The other end is a matter of drilling into something (clay) to make a mold and then do the same. I used wood but it burnt but worked ok. Drill diameter same as cable end.

Bike shops sell inner and outer cable separately to desired length. Shimano was the cable manufacturer. If I recall I used existing cable ends.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=shim ... 60&bih=633
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Nudge is a little more advanced than me with measurements :lol:
It's just the way I do things.... I hate doing things twice! :P
Find a way that works and is easiest for you... there is never only one way to get a job done.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
deacon bruce

Post by deacon bruce »

here's another puzzler for carburettor rebuild experts:

Seagull-Amal 416 carburettor-- I am missing lock nut for throttle cable adjusting screw (#10 on page 20 of owner's spare book). What do I do? Limited or no access to Whitworth hardware here in USA, but will keep trying. Can I use equivalent of some kind? Maybe use Loc-Tite instead of nut?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

That nut is an odd thread. Im not sure 100% what it is, I measured the one I have. It has a 40tpi 55 deg thread form. measuring over the bolt part is 5.33mm or 0.210".
Not sure if that is any help or not.

Maybe give John from SOS a call and see if he has one.

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/faq/amal_carb.htm
"THE KING OF BLING"!
mjling

Post by mjling »

I think you will find that is a 9/32 Model Engineers thread, which is 40TPI 55 degree and major diameter of 0.2812. You should be able to get these from a good Model Engineers supplies.

Marcus
deacon bruce

Post by deacon bruce »

Nudge:

Thanks again for great info and pics.

HOWEVER, I am using bicycle cable and sheath with bicycle gear shift lever. Will this affect the 76mm (3inches?) difference in length? Is this measured from end to end of both cable and sheath, or does the shift lever affect this?

Forgive my obtuseness, but as a former technical writer I tend to read things exactly as exactly as stated, rather than what might be obviously intended.

TYVM for your patience.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

With the cable setup in the gear shift lever, you will need 47.5mm of cable (measured the same as in the other pic above) Have the lever set to slow when taking measurements!
"THE KING OF BLING"!