Coil replacement

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

red42hj

Coil replacement

Post by red42hj »

A new coil for my TC motor is expensive, so is it possible to use one not designed for a seagul? Quest.2; Would electronic ignition be an alternative?
Thanks, Red.
Keith.P

Re: Coil replacement

Post by Keith.P »

Firstly, the TC coil will be a standard villiers coil, they are not expensive.
Secondly, why re-invent the wheel?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

My understanding is that an electronic module can be installed which runs off the primary coil. This module replaces secondary coil, condensor and points. The passing of the magnet across the primary coil drives the module and regulates the spark timing. I could be totally wrong. When a coil fails it is the secondary winding ie the little wires. The primary rarely fails.

I must have a play and see. Plenty of modules on ebay for about $20au. Collector Inspector is a bit of a dab hand with these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140985383145 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Trouble is we need somebody to produce a kit with clear instructions, for a lowish price. It also needs to have proven reliability.

Personally I would buy a new coil made with modern materials and have some confidence that it will run on.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Why not try looking for a complete replacement ignition system.

CDI ignitions come up for sale a lot on ebay and so do the wipac points ones. Both will be a straight swap as long as you have all the required fittings for whichever ignition you choose to run.
Make sure it's one from a seagull originally and that it came from a century/102 type seagull and not a 40 (cdi version that is). This way the baseplate will line up easily with the crankcase bolts on your old 102.

I've retro-fitted a CDI ignition twice with a couple of my old dears for a laugh and it works a treat. CDI's on old 102's gets a few strange looks to those in the know, but hey, it works.
Works REALLY WELL in fact. You'd be surprised...

Jon