high tension lead or...?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

pat777

Re: high tension lead or...?

Post by pat777 »

This clip may help you with the flywheel removal. Were you using a lump hammer? You need to give it a good hard square on the nut blow. Make sure the nut you are using is steel and not brass (been there, done that!) Others will probably advise you to use heat, I think plenty of soaking with penetrating fluid or such like initially is the best way to go.

pat777

Post by pat777 »

deacon bruce wrote:My problem is how to remove flywheel that is stuck tight. I know someone should hold flywheel while another whacks craknshaft nut. Tried, but nothing gives. Afraid of harming crankshaft, etc. Could heating flywheel help?

Also have a ruined crankcase and crankshaft assembly with breakerless CD ignition- previous owner blew up engine by overspeeding in a barrel test. Would like to use this ignition assembly to replace current Villiers. Looks to be simple swap. But same flywheel removal problem.

Once flywheel removal solved, a basic question: Is this a possible/advisable swap?
I can't advise you on the ignition swap, hopefully some one more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
deacon bruce

Post by deacon bruce »

How does "lump" hammer translate into American version of our shared (?) language. I have a copper one used years ago on wing nuts on MG midget spoked wheels back in the day.

Why steel? Have steel nut but thread doesn't work well. Both nuts from Gulls.

I am calling my bodgered version a "Frankengull."

TYVM for all your advice. Haven't yet watched all of the pics, but hope to later today.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

lump hammer.jpg
lump hammer.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 679 times
If you whack a brass nut with a big hammer on a steel thread, then you will just rip through all of the threads on the brass nut because brass is a softer metal than steel. As I said I learned that lesson the hard way!
I am calling my bodgered version a "Frankengull."
In that case hopefully you will have it ready for Halloween.