cosmetic suggestions please

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bruce nickerson

cosmetic suggestions please

Post by bruce nickerson »

Am in process of reassembling a CSC and have two fuel tanks from which to choose: One is steel with some rust flakes clattering around inside and coated with what looks to be a thick black plastic-like coating on the outside; the other is brass, painted black, in fairly good condition with the exception of a few small dents and dings which lend character. Questions: Should I clean up the steel tank, repaint and use it, or use the brass? If the brass, should I strip the paint and polish the brass to lend the whole a cosmetic gleam? If I use the brass, shoukld I bother with the dents and dings, or as I have already suggested, accept them as lending character?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I personally have a deep dislike of the steel tanks. No matter how well repainted they will rust, and you will get holes, never mind the rust flakes inside.

The oval brass tank is the definitive Seagull tank. If severely dented, then replacement with a better example is the best option. If the dents are minor, and the 'sailorman' decals are still there, then yes it does add character.

There are a few (including e) who have spent quite a while attempting to restore a Seagull brass tank. It can be quite a challenge, but the results are good if you take time and care. Also, John can supply decals which are probably about as close in dimension, design and colour to the originals as you're going to get.

Have a look through the earlier threads for more ideas about dent removal.
bruce nickerson

Charles:

TYVM. Your comments are pretty much what I expected. What about stripping paint and polishing brass? Wree eailroman decals put on over black paint or over the brass or both?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I'm not sure of the age of your motor, which you quote as a CSP - did you mean CPC?

Anyway, 10:1 mixture motors (anything pre 1978) had a black tank. After that it was 25:1 and a blue tank, and of course soon thereafter the more 'modern' logos appeared.

So - black paint.

The old paint must be removed first - I prefer paint stripper, regardless of the environment. Then the brass, I suggest, needs cleaning back to bright wit, say, 400 or 600 grit emery to p-rovide a key. Degrease it, and prepare with a suitable primer. I'm not aware of what may be available local top you, so you'll have to find a self etching primer and a black paint that'll resist water and fuel when it's cured.

Once painted let it cure for a good couple of weeks before adding the decal, which is a waterslide application. That needs to dry for a few days then a suitable spray lacquer or something to protect it from water and fuel.

There has been a lot of discussion about this subject in the past - it's really well worth hunting round the forum for all the posts.
bruce nickerson

Sorry, way off on model- got it confused with other gull I have .

It is an ESC123E5. Had black steel tank on it. I 'spose bright brass would be impractical and cosmetically incorrect and over the top?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Yes, it probably would. Your black steel tank, hmm, 1978, I would have thought that one had the later carb and a blue tank - anyone out there care to comment.

My ESC - the one that some toad pinched - had a blue tank.

Any ideas anyone?
GregBda

Post by GregBda »

Charles, my EFNR is post 1978 and has the original black steel tank and amal 416 carb. I use 16:1 but were they sold to be 10:1 or 25:1?

Greg
bruce nickerson

Charles, mine is like Greg's- black steel tank and Amal carb. Got it about a month ago at an Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc (AOMCI) jumble. Swapped it for an MG Midget short block i no longer needed
philj

Post by philj »

Hi,
there should be a law that all seagulls have a long range black oval tank, and never polished brass, nor plastic, or even blue steel!
I used to have to polish brass on board ships, did no one tell the navy about paint?
regards
Phil
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

All of them post 1978 started life as a 25:1 motor, apart from a very few right at the end which had a disastrous flirtation with 50:1, which bestowed on them a very short life.

Yes, a brass oval tank should be the legal requirement for any Century or Forty, and anyone caught using the wrong colour should be subject to an on the spot fine...
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

My 1985 EFNR has a black metal tank - hasnt been replaced AFAIK

I love the brass one though..
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
gullnut

cosmetics

Post by gullnut »

I have just renovated a silver cent plus 1977, which has black steel tank which now looks superb. resplendant with its new decal suplied by John. If kept clean and full to the brim with fuel over the winter months to stop condensation should give years of service. The unfortunate thing with the steel tanks is that all the ones you see that have become tatty look to have been re-painted using a yard brush with bitumen and look crap.

I appreciate the argument with brass tanks, but maybe British seagull should have sacked that bloke at the end of the production line employed to bash the tanks at both ends with a lump hammer!

Simon
GregBda

Post by GregBda »

Can we see a picture? Which decal did you put on the steel tank? It's a different decal from the ones that go one the brass tanks isn't it?

Greg
gullnut

Post by gullnut »

Not according to John. He says for that era of tank the decal he supplied is correct. I think its a bit of a grey area myself because its just on the borderline where decals changed to just saying 'SEAGULL' across the back. Either way it still looks good

If you let me have your email adress I will send you some pics

Cheers Simon