Raw fuel from carb

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

aitchw

Raw fuel from carb

Post by aitchw »

I have a SilverCentury Plus with Amal carb. This summer managed to get it firing up 1st pull most of the time and running well (enough) for long periods. I have 2 queries, however. First is what is the likely cause of neat fuel being sprayed out of the air intake? This is most noticeable when above half revs. The second is dissapointing power output (thrust) when compared with my Merc 4hp 2 stroke. The Seagull should be much better for my 16' displacement sailing cruiser and certainly 'feels' more appropriate. Could the 2 issues be related in any way?

Some sage advice would be greatly appreciated. I already have 2 anchors. I don't need a 3rd :)
Charles UK

Post by Charles UK »

There are 2 possibilities that spring to mind on this question.

1. incorrect inlet timing, inlet port open too long.

2 Piston rings very tired, allowing some blow back on the compression stroke.

It's unlikely you've moved the inlet port, so try a compression test, there is not usually enough crankcase compression on a century for the pulse to start from there, so it's probably coming from the top of the engine.

Centurys seem to run OK with compressions ranging from 45lbs to 75lbs.
aitchw

Post by aitchw »

Thanks, Charles.

Can't imagine how the inlet port timing could have been altered during my ownership.

Low compression due to worn bores/tired rings does sound likely and would account for both my concerns. If that is the case not sure what options are available.

Running on 25:1 would mean lower viscosity in the fuel/oil mix and that could be a factor in an old engine, I guess.

Gummy rings not expanding to the cylinder walls is a possibility, I suppose. Oversize rings? Are they available? Any other solutions?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Oversize rings aren't available - but new rings are; contact John at SOS.

But the problem may be that they're gummed up.

If you part the block from the crankcase you'll be able to tell quite quickly - if they're stuck in the grooves they need freeing off carefully, and the offending gunge removed.

New rings are not expensive.
aitchw

Post by aitchw »

Thanks again.

Now to find out just how difficult the head bolts are going to be to remove. Not looking forward to that!

Cheers,

Howard
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Best not to remove the head bolts - the legend 'do not remove' means what it says.

You can change or look at the rings by removing the whole block and cylinder head in one unit from the crankcase - much easier!

Good luck
Charles UK

Post by Charles UK »

Not sure I agree with the other Charles with regard to removing the head, I always remove them.
I think I have broken 3 or 4 head bolts out of the 15 to 20 heads I've removed, if you have stainless head bolts it's never a problem, plated steels ones can be a problem if the threads were drilled & tapped right through into the water jacket as the ends of the bolts rust & expand.
The only way to assess the condition of the water jacket requires head removal.
But Charles is right on a ring job, after a very low compression test you might as well leave the head on if you've good water flow.
I think British Seagull when they had a service department ensured their continuite of work by casting "do not remove" onto the cylinder head ensuring it was sent back to the factory or to an authorised service center for head removal.
Broken head bolt removal & retapping is well within the competance of any small engineering workshop with a mill & a 5/16 BSF tap.
All the cylinder needs is a light hone & a new set of rings, John Williams must have heaps of them.
But for a Century to wear the rings this badly the whole outboard must have done a considerable amount of work, a complete reconditioning might be the order of the day if your planning on using it for more than a sunny sunday put put up the river.