Shaft Length conversion

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mark
Shaft Length conversion

Post by Mark »

I have a really nice 40plus longshaft, but due to changing my boat I really now need a short shaft. Rather than take my chance on ebay, is it possible to convert a longshaft to a short shaft? If so, how do I go about it? Thanks, Mark :roll:
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Yes it's possible - in fact it isn't even difficult.

You simply shorten the driveshaft, driveshaft casing, exhaust and water delivery pipe by the same amount.

Even better, acquire the shorter components rather than hacking the existing ones about. The water pipe, for example, is tricky to bend and rebend exactly right. The drive shaft casing will rust where the chrome is sawn away, and the exhaust is a bit of a pain to saw exactly.

So even better than new components is, in my view, a shorter motor.

Or even a depth adjusting collar. That's cheaper, dead easy, and doesn't take value from your 40 plus, which will bear the 'L' letter denoting long shaft on the crank case.

Or of course a swap from someone reputable...
Katomi
Post by Katomi »

I have a short shaft silver centery if your interested in swap trade as I need the long shaft versions for my boat
( one wonders what the letters would look like after a conversion.. a strike thoro the l and an s added?)
Stephen
Mark
Post by Mark »

Well thanks for the advice - I didn't butcher my long shaft, but took a punt on ebay...and got really lucky. There was a most unassuming advert for a 40 plus short shaft with clutch - no fancy claims or photos, just an honest short description. Got the engine home and it is superb - fresh fuel, and away she went. No leaking fuel tap, no knackered throttle cable, no nasty paint job, no pitting on crome. It is FPC239EE8 - can any one tell the age of that?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

May 1978.

You did well - I was watching that one. The parts alone purchased singly would possibly have cost you more.