Featherweight overheating when every cure has been tried.

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Skollag
Featherweight overheating when every cure has been tried.

Post by Skollag »

I am a new owner of an elderly Featherweight 45. On a dustbin test, this engine had no water circulation at all, only steam came out of the outlet hole in the block and ominous noises like a steam iron. :(

I got as much info as I could from the internet and literature. I backflushed the water system but although water seemed to pass through OK, the engine still had no circulation.

By the way, never be tempted to forward flush the system with an inverted engine or water can get up the exhaust and into the crankcase.

I tried removing the propeller in case of too much turbulence in the dustbin but no luck. I left the block to soak in a hot solution of Holts radiator cleaner/deruster but still no circulation. I was brave and undid the pinch bolt which holds the prop gearbox assembly onto the shaft housing. I then undid the two top screws (hammer driver required) to gain access to the pump impeller. This was intact, in good condition, clean and not blocked. Then I thought I must bite the bullet and remove the "do not remove" cylinder head. :?

However, when re-fitting the gearbox assembly onto the shaft housing, I realised that I had purchased a motor which had been wrongly assembled at the last service. The long copper pipe which feeds water to the cylinder block had never been correctly fitted into the pump outlet hole but had just hung down inside the exhaust, connected to nothing. I put it together correctly ( care required to get the pipe to line up ) and hey presto, my pump works like a fire engine. :D
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

.. backflushed the water system but although water seemed to pass through OK, the engine still had no circulation...

That's useful experience to share here. I'm sure it happens quite frequently. It is not necessary to strip the motor down to physically check the pipe is correctly seated into the water pump outlet. If back flush water injected into the cylinder block tell tale hole flows out from the exhaust pipe rather than the pump inlet slots at the front of the gearbox it can only be because the water tube is not seated correctly.

Peter
Skollag
Post by Skollag »

Thanks for the useful reply 40TPI.

I should add that I am a land lubber where Seagulls are concerned and my Featherweight is a whole new experience and learning curve for me. The one thing I never imagined would be that it had been wrongly assembled. I gather it had been kept as a spare engine in a yacht and never used for 10 years after the last service. Just as well it was not required in an emergency.
Katomi
Post by Katomi »

happend tp me as well (silver centery plus)n mine just worked loose had just the same signs as you
Stephen