water outlet century plus

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Loiner1965

water outlet century plus

Post by Loiner1965 »

what does the board think of this subject....
shall i run a short pipe or one that enters the water....which is best for the engine
Keith.P

Re: water outlet century plus

Post by Keith.P »

I think the water runs perfectly alright without any extra pipework added on.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

If you pipe it in to the water how are you going to tell if the intake is blocked. The out let works as a good tell tale
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Run a short pipe or not the engine will not care
i did this on a silver century 102 style into the exhaust because i like it this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jhK2RwT ... detailpage
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I can't see any reason to change the way the cooling system works.

In fact I can only see such modifications as being pointless at best.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

There might be a point Charles if the water introduced to the exhaust is taken from the problem pocket discussed in the rusty cylinder thread, providing it's done the same way Seagull did on the late model Centurys, if it enters the exhaust too high, you could risk exhaust pulses putting some of it back into the cylinder, hence the long copper tube Seagull used.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

British Seagull were never scared of making a small modification that would improve their motors. I'm not sure the OP was intending to drill a hole into the 'problem pocket' or if he was just going to take a pipe from the coolant outlet, but there are considerations..

1) If you drain the water from your 'problem pocket' are you threatening the integrity of the water bath? Could you end up with unintentional hot-spots if the jacket fails to fill properly?

2) If you tap the coolant exit hole for a pipe are you not effectively restricting the flow by reducing the coolant exit diameter?

3) Does feeding the coolant off down a pipe reduce the flow again through friction effects?

4) Could a Siphon effect be introduced that might accelerate the flow?

5) What are the possible effects of back pressure from the exhaust?

British Seagull had a successful motor in the 102, one with a proven impeller/feed pipe/water jacket/coolant exhaust system. When they started producing Centuries they went for a much simplified system. It must have worked for them, because they kept making the things for years and years. Had they needed to take the coolant into the exhaust many of the components were sitting there on the shelf in front of them. They must have stuck with the simpler version for a reason.

If you alter any of those things you stand a good chance of altering the running temperature of the motor. Maybe it would run hotter, maybe cooler, it depends what you do and how you do it. But you stand very little chance of it running at the designed temperature.

So for me modified cooling systems are in the same category as the bizarre fetish for o-rings instead of cork in fuel taps, pan scrubbers stuffed up exhausts, weird transistorised bits for the ignition, people who insist on an 'improved' ignition timing, grinding the tips off propellors, those strange inline 'ignition boosters', and so on.
Loiner1965

Post by Loiner1965 »

point taken if not broken leave alone lol
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Good point Charles, I hadn't given any thought to any of these mods changing the running temperature of the motor!

Both of our researchs have shown that Seagull did a lot of work checking the flow & temperature of the coolant.

You can see from Niander's youtube vid that very little water is being discharged from his 102 tell tail, pumped by a Century impeller, perhaps it's missing the higher output from the 102 pump design.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I suspect that may be the case. There's another issue of course, to do with the partial clogging of water jackets.

Without a clear view of the whole coolant stream it's difficult to see exactly how much water is going round the system. Which means problems may be masked, early warning signs of a blockage may be ignored.

I'm unfashionably old-fashioned about this sort of thing, I know that. But I'm uncomfortable with any straying from the path of orthodox righteousness.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Hopefully more water is going down the exhaust pipe than is coming out of tell tale on the elbow.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

But there is a positive pressure in the exhaust, how is the low pressure in the water return pipe going to overcome that?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

There's no way of knowing.

Perhaps British Seagull moved away from the idea for a good reason?
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

One thing ive noticed is that the 102 outlets are so small
like half the size of a century block outlet
this is a bottle neck and will slow down /restrict the water coming out
in fact i believe the hole should be larger
which is what BS did with the century blocks
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Then with the QB range they put water back down the exhaust, and had a short pipe on the head outlet.

I thought there were great benefits of water cooling the exhaust as it comes out of the cylinder.

H-A