see on my local Ebay (FRANCE)

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bobbybob

see on my local Ebay (FRANCE)

Post by bobbybob »

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_naut ... htm?ca=1_s

LE BON COIN is my local "EBAY"
in France,the joke is :'the good corner' (the real translation in english) but it's not a real translation because, le bon coin,is the name come from"argot" (a sub-urbain language from the 40' or 30',..!) and it's the coin of the street ,where it's easy to buy anything!!!
a good "ebay" in France!!
(sorry I try)
Keith.P

Re: see on my local Ebay (FRANCE)

Post by Keith.P »

Il ressemble à ce qui est communément appelé une roue de bateau, mais il est incomplet.
recherche. atco bateau roue.

It looks like what's commonly called a boat impeller, but it's incomplete.
lookup. atco boat impeller.
kees

Post by kees »

See the brand name on the pictures !
J.A.P.

and that is not an ATCO
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Welcome to the forum, the make of the engine is JAP, I have one in the shed its called a seabee, other than the engine, this has nothing to do with J.A. Prestwich. about 10 manufacturers used the same engine on outboards, as J.A.P made engines not outboards.
The Atco boat impeller is an example of what this other motor would have looked like, if it had been complete.
JAP is the engine make and not the outboard brand name.
bobbybob

Post by bobbybob »

a good explain!(explication!)
I know JAP:motor for board-track (motorcycle!)in 30's!!
thx!
kees

Post by kees »

What I tried to explain....
J.A.P. powerheads ( you win ) were used on outboards and sideboards , and if they named it a SeeBee that`s right, however often that name is not on the outboard.
But I understand the message.
Still, when you see an Atco sideboard ( or liberty single ) and a J.A.P. sideboard next to each other, there is a huge difference in design.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I Have seen many models, but have never been interested in acquiring one, the closes I got was made by G-plan.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Not many sideboard/boat impellers were made in this country apart from the 4 Atco models, though it could be an Auto Products Minor or a Swampmaster.

Looking at that powerhead it's difficult to work out how that "transom/ gunnel bracket funtioned, if you get the fuel tank / carb in the correct orientation there is no steering only tilting, so rudder steered.

Kees what's a Liberty single & was it English?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
kees

Post by kees »

Hi Charles

In the US they talk always about "Liberty single or Liberty twin outboards"
most common is the "Caille"
it means nothing more then,
......long shaft direct drive from crankshaft to prop, and no intermediate gearing system....
mounted on the back of the boat ( not on the side )

hope I am right ?

Kees
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Dont know if they are related, but the only 'Liberty' I know was aware of was of American origin and used to make large aero engines and truck engines.

JAP made a whole range of small industial engines and 'V' engines for motorcycles etc., (my small Anzani outboard has a JAP engine) and they had a fine reputation - eventually absorbed into Villiers.

The ATCO boat impeller used Villiers engines.
phil

Post by phil »

Liberty single and Liberty Twin were the Caille brand long tail or Atco type outboard motor.
I think they were produced from about 1917- the mid 20s. They mount on the transom of the boat. There are a surprising number of them still around, one sees them fairly often in outboard club members collections.
denchen

Post by denchen »

Not sure but I think Evinrude made a Caille model about the time of the first world war that was a lot like ``The knuckle knocker`` I got in the shed waiting for restoration.
phil

Post by phil »

The deal with other brands sporting Evinrude on the flywheel is that Evinrude appears to have supplied the magneto, to manufacturers of several other brands. Caille did something similar in supplying complete motors to some smaller companies which then sold under their brand, Caille supplied Glideaway, and several others, including Motorgo which was a brand of Sears-Roebuck, interestingly Lockwood-Ash also supplied motors to Sears that were branded Motorgo.

Caille was a well established company building such diverse products as marine engines and slot machines before any of the outboard companies got started. It is said that at least the first 25 Evinrude Row Boat motors were built of parts cast for Evinrude by Caille.

Tried to post a link to Jack Craib's excellent site on Row Boat Motors, but it didn't link. It is worth while to see, it is linked through the AOMCI.org homepage links list. Or can be found through google. Has some nice photos of a Caille Liberty single as well.
kees

Post by kees »

try this one;

http://www.cailleoutboards.com/rowboat/

and if it don`t work

http://www.cailleoutboards.com/rowboat/

a huge info about rowboat motors

have fun, Kees
bobbybob

Post by bobbybob »