Google Earth and a seasonal photo

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Google Earth and a seasonal photo

Post by charlesp »

Some of the lads from the factory on the frozen surface of Holes Bay in the winter of 1962/63. Poole Harbour doesn't usually freeze, but everything in Britain did that year.

If you have Google Earth, then go to:

50.44.08.56 N
1.59.37.83 W

There's no British Seagull factory there now of course, but some of the buildings survive. The spot they're standing was reclaimed as part of a project to put a new road in, this of course was after the move to the Ringwood Road premises. In the houses just to the North live several of the people who worked there at the time.

If you go to:

50.43.07.15 N
2.00.46.75 W

You'll see it's just a small house. So it was in 1938/9, whehn it was Seagull House, and sported a 'shop window' for spares and callers. 'Seagull House' does give an impression of grandeur, one that wasn't really there. At the time the motors were assembled at approximately:

50.42.40.69 N
1.59.45.98 W

Which is now a rather impressive development of apartments. When the wind is from the North it effectively blanks the Yacht Club just to the South, which is where my R19 is moored:

50.42.28.14 N
1.59.52.73 W

A little further North is the site of the factory on the Quay in Poole itself, occupied by British Seagull from 38/39:

50.42.45.92 N
1.59.26.51 W

They left there in the mid fifties to go to the Fleets Bridge site, where the photo above was taken. From there they left for the Ringwood Road premises in 1984, which is at:

50.44.18.86 N
1.56.59.72 W

Now I am aware that clever people can put Google Earth links in things, but I am not that clever, it remains a skill that I have yet to acquire - sorry.

While I'm here, may I take the opportunity to wish you all a very joyous Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Thank you to so many who have helped with my project. A special thanks to John Williams for his help, advice, and of course for this site.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Clever translates to 'time on your hands' which I have while Im off for the next two weeks..Ill push those links into the thread above for your consumption....

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop