102 Direct Drive Gear Box to Clutch convert

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Jan

102 Direct Drive Gear Box to Clutch convert

Post by Jan »

Is it possible to convert a Direct Drive gear box into a Clutch Drive model?

I've got all the Clutch model parts like the longer prop shaft, bronze wedge, washers, springs, clutch fork etc.

Regarding the spare parts list there are Clutch and Direct Drive gearbox housings.

Are they machined different inside or is it only the casted wedge on the outside?

Thank in advance,

Jan
headdownarseup

Re: 102 Direct Drive Gear Box to Clutch convert

Post by headdownarseup »

hi jan

i've often wondered the same. i think the internal casting is the same on direct and clutch drive. i think you will need a longer bushing to accept the wedge that you mention. have a look at the clutch drive gearbox and compare it to a direct drive gearbox. apart from a longer drive shaft i think it should be possible even if you had to weld a wedge from aluminium to facilitate the clutch.

have a go! i might try also

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Have a look at the crown wheel, clutch dog & prop shaft in the parts list with regard to their part numbers, some crown wheels have teeth to mesh with the clutch dog & some don't.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi Jon & Charles,

I already convert the direct drive gearbox into an clutch model.

You need a (longer) clutch drive propshaft, clutch dog with pin, spring, clutch fork, bronze wedge and the big washer for the fork.
Luckily the crown wheel in the direct drive gearbox had the teeth for the clutch dog.

The early direct and clutch drive (with seperate bronze wedge for the clutch fork) gearbox castings are the same.

The only difference of the gear housing is the position of the prop side bushing.

The prop side bushing on the direct drive gearbox is pressed in from the inside and on the clutch drive its pressed in from the outside.
The thicker part of the propshaft bushing on the clutch gearhousing will locate the wedge for the clutch fork.

Jan
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

thanks jan

i thought it wasn't that hard but you do need the rights parts to begin with.

i might have a go myself. i've got a few direct drive gearboxes that i can play with.

jon :)