what to do with old fuel

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

1charan

what to do with old fuel

Post by 1charan »

Hi all,

When (not if) you buy an old Seagull, there is always some fuel left in the tank. A Seagull doesn't like old fuel, so it needs to be removed. But after removing it, what do you do with it?

I can't put it in my car, I can't dump it in the environment, I don't have a moped or a lawnmower.

What do YOU do with old fuel?

Charan
SJP11446LL parts only, TC52234L unrestored, THC67581L unrestored, FP1986JJ4 running, GF2355EE7 running,TC63272 work in progress, AD52014 unrestored, sEEgull work in progress.
weddigen

Re: what to do with old fuel

Post by weddigen »

I usually heavily dilute it with the fresh item and use away-never had a problem with this approach.Weddigen :)
bobbybob

Post by bobbybob »

mint,ice,sugar,lemon,.................................................!!!
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

If you mix oil (olive oil) with caustic soda (NaOH) you get soap. Old fuel is close to oil, it contains two stroke oil and the remains of the petrol that didn't manage to evaporate, so this mixture is close to oil. Mixing with caustic soda you get something close to soap, it seems better to me throwing away soap instead of old fuel. I try that when cleaning a tank.

In case you want to make experiments 1kg of oil needs 130gr of NaOH (crystals). I always use more, something like 300gr per kg to be sure.

Hope that helps a little.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I do hope that this scheme for soap manufacture isn't going to result in anyone using the product for actual washing. I dread to think what a mixture of "Stelios Soap" and an exfoliant of silver sand would do to my smooth unwrinkled complexion.

But it's possible you may have hit on a cheap means of unwanted tattoo removal...
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I had to laugh :D That is just what I was thinking, old seagull petrol with over double the recommended amount of caustic soda to make "soap" :shock: Do they still do animal testing in Greece :o

Stelios, you make me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

My intention was to mention a way to make something less harmful for the environment when thrown away.
Of course if someone is willing to use it for a shower I am more than happy to inform me about the results :lol: :lol:

Yes I believe it would help in tattoos removal and some more removals in general...
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
phil

Post by phil »

If its not too far gone ( goo ) put it in a container, mix in a like amount of varsol or kerosene and use it to clean or soak oily and grungy things in.
We have hazardous waste days during the recycling and garbage cycle here when you can get rid of stuff like that to proper disposal. Don't they offer that in your area?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Funny :D :D

If you have a petrol engine in your car and the fuel is just old but useable.......................throw it in by all means.

Any oil content may well lubricate injectors.

No harm whatsoever.

When I clean Basha's tank twice a year it all goes into the car.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I thaught in the old days before WD40, you used a rag soaked in the old fuel & wiped down the Seagull to leave a protective oily film.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

i'm just plain tight!

i dont throw away old fuel i use it to degrease all manner of engine parts or use it as a pre-soak prior to deep cleaning.

gets barbequeus going well also when you first light it! (be carefull with that one though) :oops:

jon