You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

winter

Carb for FVP

Post by winter »

Friends,

Just bought a FVP without a carburator.
Can anyone tell what carburator I need?
And can I exchange parts from an incomplete FV I have?

Evert Winter
Keith.P

Re: Carb for FVP

Post by Keith.P »

A seagull villiers carb from the same era should work, but I would have to look to see if the stub size is the same as others, I think it is.
Other than the gearbox the fvp/fv are about the same, but this will also depend on the age of both motors as some parts did change.
winter

Post by winter »

Keith,

The Fv is built in 54/55
The FVP in the years 50/51.

I think that getting such a carb. will not be a problem.

Evert
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The FVP is probably like my one. http://www.wytewych.co.uk/seagull-fvp.html
And the FV is more likely to have a different style crank case and transom and maybe not a screw in grearbox.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

I think the FV and FVP carbs are the same for engines produced at approx the same time.

Certainly the FV carbs that I have seen (mainly the earlier ones) differ from carbs from the next generation series 40 models (SJM/SJP) in four respects:-
1. The main venturi bore is smaller at 7/16" instead of 1/2".
2. There is a throttlle slide stop on the top cap.
3. The choke shutter does not have a hole through the middle.
4. The float chamber bowl does not have the small drain hole near the top.

Certainly the stub size is the same, as FV and FVP blocks are I believe interchangeable.

I am not sure about the carbs used on the LS/LM range.

The FV and FVP, I believe all had the same crankcases, and all had a drive shaft tube which screws into the pump housing. At the top the drive shaft tube is clamped into the bottom crankcase.

The LS slowly developed into being more like the latter series 40 (SJM/SJP). They were 64cc engines with the latter clamp bolt bottom drive shaft tube attachment and a different bracket attachment around the drive shaft tube at the top.

Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

FV crank
IMG_0590.JPG
FVP crank
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Keith,

I stand corrected. When I wrote that FV/FVP crankcases are the same, there was a little brain cell telling me 'are you really sure?'

Yes, your photo of FV14942 (quite a late one) is similar to latter LS. I guess therefore that at some (late) stage the lower crankcases for FV/FVP/LS were all machined as your FV14942. That would make sense.

What about the bottom end? I have said that I believe that all FV/FVPs had the drive shaft tube screwed into the pump housing - is this correct? Don't we know that latter LSs had the clamp bolt at the bottom - so would it not be logical for all three models (FV/FVP/LS) eventually to be the same at the bottom as they appear to be the same at the top?

Another thought - although it is getting a bit late for my brain:-
I have seen a few FVs with a big gap between the V and the next digit (like your FV 14942). I have seen a few FVPs (like your FVP5608) with no gap between the P and the next digit. Almost as if at the last minute BS decided what gearbox to put on and stamped a P if required. Wise old Charles P says the stamping was usually too erratic to assume this....but?

Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I think most if not all FVP/FV are screw in boxes, I think the LS started off as screw in boxes and went on the the more common clamp.
I don't know about the lettering always seem to be very hit and miss, I have had motors with nothing on them, I think it was down to the worker the day and if he had time for a P.
winter

Post by winter »

This ( attached)is the FVP5131, I will pick up next week. Costs me € 35,-.
I appreciate all information and advices.
When I have it in my shed I will make pictures and add them to this topic.
Maybe it misses more parts.
image.jpg
winter

Post by winter »

Keith, a very nice website you have.
I am looking for a wartime 102 too.
It is for sure waiting for me in some shed, somewhere in the Netherlands
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Looks a very nice motor, good price too, only problem maybe the tiller, Some had the tiller stub machined off and had the tiller fitted to the side, its similar in age to my one with a centre tiller, but doesn't look like a seagull tiller, I don't think the centre tiller was all that popular and got damaged easily, hopefully the carb and pipework are right also.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

It looks like a good base to begin. Tank doesn't look dented and you have at least the slide and the rest parts of the carb that could be a little bit difficult to find. I mean the slide stop on the top cap.

Waiting to see your restoration and good luck!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Evert,

Your FVP looks a really good repair/restoration project. Well done in getting it. It all looks right including the transom bracket, which obviously can easily get swapped with an incorrect later (and bigger) one.
As Keith P says the tiller looks a bit odd, but I am sure that can be rectified quite easily. I like the small stub tillers, although the tilting ones are fine. Has the aluminium stub on the crankcase been removed? If it has, then of course a tilting tiller is required.

As to what length the tillers should be. Stub tillers, I believe are about 5 1/2" long. The tilting tillers for the FVs (and probably the early and mid age FVPs) I believe should be 10" long. Perhaps later FVPs and LSs had the longer 12" ones as fitted to the early SJM/SJP. Who knows exactly?

Jeremy
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Evert,

Nice little FV good find. I have one of the small brackets to mount the tiller to the crankcases, that were fitted to some FV/FVP engines. It will help if the alluminium stub has been chopped off.

I don't think I have a carb, I'll double check in the shed. (Getting back to the question in the original post!)

I do have a FVP spares engine with a good cylinder, crankcases, head gearbox etc.
winter

Post by winter »

Well, I am looking forward to have this old beauty in my own shed.
I haven't seen her yet, other then from this one picture.
Just thought: I want her.

I bought it from the other side of the country. My son is a skipper and sails there every week with his freighter.
The seller is an old skipper too and is willing to bring it on board.
He seems to like it that the seagull comes into a loving shed.

I will make detailed pictures to show you and see how original it is.
I too am curious about the stud. I haven't seen one like this before.

Good to know that some of you have parts, so with your advices and help restoring will be a succes, I guess.