Workin' on my 102 long shaft clutched

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Shearwater

Workin' on my 102 long shaft clutched

Post by Shearwater »

I'm making progress slowly in reassembling my 102 and collecting all the right parts to end up eventually with a nice piece of machinery.
I like to polish all the aluminium, brass and bronze parts to get a bit of bling. The drive shaft tube and the tank clamps are being re-chromed now. Expect to get them back in a few weeks.
Wanted to show you my little project.
Keith.P

Re: Workin' on my 102 long shaft clutched

Post by Keith.P »

Nice looking polished parts, I like the carb polished rather than painted, still not the way I would go, but all to their own.
Just seems a shame to put all them old bling parts on such a late motor.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Impressive approach!!

Keep up
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
bikerboyfife

Post by bikerboyfife »

Very nice allmost sexy :D
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Stunning..... but don't put it in salt water!!

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

polish away SHEARWATER!
some 102's look bang on with bling!

how did you get such a good finish on the clutch lever! i'm impressed. (machine polish or hand polish) what do you use.
i agree with KEITH. carbs look better when they're polished.
stay away from the salty stuff, unless you REALLY LIKE polishing :)

jon
Squid Boat

Post by Squid Boat »

Nice work mate, she'll be a looker.

Cheers
Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

I found the bronze clutch lever on Ebay, I don't know from which model originally, I guess also an older type 102. It has not Seagull on it, the surface is smooth. The first stage of polishing was done with a drill and a sanding roller, the later with hand and polishing paper, gradually finer and fine steel wool. At last I polished with a paste and cloth.
I wanted to us the old style tiller arm with the rubber bushing and big brass wing nut as well, but it appears that I can't use that on this TC-model. Thanks Jan for blowing up my dream :wink:
Now I will use a polished brass original one of the TC.
It will never see salt water.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Your right Shearwater, it will see your living room and not salt water.

The bronze plain levers are very sought after and where used on the wartime SD models.

Jan
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

if you wanted to use the older style tiller with the wing nut fixing but you are not that worried about the serial number, you could use an older set of crankcases suitable for the older style tiller.
i'm sure that someone on the forum could help with a set of crankcases. (perhaps even JAN)
i prefer the older 102's myself, i think they look right compared to the later ones.
JAN is correct with the clutch lever, they were only used on the SD's and perhaps some of the later model MARSTON's with a clutch.

as i mentioned before, some 102's look bang on with a bit of bling.
carry on polishing.
how are you going to finish the exhaust tube, polished brass or rechrome? or even polished aluminium?

jon
Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

Yes, I learned from Jan about the crank case. For now I stick to the newer style tiller, I think. I now have two TC powerheads, but I may go for an older one with the old style tiller some time in the future. This machine already costs me more money than I intended to. But I fell sort of in love with the 102 so you never know what I will do.
The exhaust tube is chrome and in a very good state. I think I leave it that way. I have a polished brass exhaust on my 40plus which is also nice, I must admit. The drive shaft tube and the tank clamps are being re-chromed at the moment. Haven't got them back yet. Another 80-90 euro's.
And no, it will not sit only in my living room, I will hang it at the back of my classic 14 foot clinker ply dinghy. The resoration of it is another project for the long winter evenings.
Edit:
Looking at Ebay I found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-seagu ... 2a42217cf2. Tempting.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

just the job for the older style tiller.
i think they look much better than the slightly different type you might find on a model 40 of similar age.

i have an interest in pre 1950 102's, so all of my tillers are painted black!

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The Bronze clutch lever was only used on about 10% of SD's, the same ones that had the copper coolie hat flywheel cover, unchromed exhaust, brass topped carb, unchromed water pipes & a straight out the back exhaust.

Marstons only had Birmabright clutch levers.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

nice to know that i've got one of those 10 percent SD's. (pleased because i got it for a song as well :D )
how about the gearbox nipples being on the starboard side instead of the port side? is that unusual or is that something else thats 10 per cent?
wasn't quite sure about the marston clutch lever being bronze. i had my doubts. nice to clear things up. thanx charles
jon
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote:The Bronze clutch lever was only used on about 10% of SD's, the same ones that had the copper coolie hat flywheel cover, unchromed exhaust, brass topped carb, unchromed water pipes & a straight out the back exhaust.

Marstons only had Birmabright clutch levers.
ONs had satin Chrome plated bronze.

My late SD with Ali coolie, ali carb has a Bronze Seagull Patent one.
20140820_081940.jpg
H-A