Gearbox Oils

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Niander101

Re: Gearbox Oils

Post by Niander101 »

Just check after a number of hours running...doesn't take long
id run 2 engines anyway on long run...easy to swop over and maintain one not running :wink:
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Sage advice. That is probably what it will come down to.

AJ
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote: But doing the job properly, i.e. using seals that will stop lube leakage & water ingress & don't seem to carry too much of an efficiency overhead might require a full lower unit redesign.
smalll.jpg
yes, I added proper seals to this one.

H-A
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I Like the prop and cone.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
croweater

Post by croweater »

Adrian – Bruny Island great idea I have thought about doing something similar but not as far I have different
idea about the type of boat I would use.

Gearbox oil what a pain it was but if we wanted an easy run we would’ve bought new four strokes, what I
have done thanks to suggestions that some of the forum members made (Hugz & co) is get some blended to
suit the Seagull gearbox. Found a company that at first wouldn’t do a run less than 500 litres as it wasn’t
economical to do it but they did mix a 4 litre sample in their lab. I haven’t had time to try it we were
planning to do a 100 km/14 hour run just need a spare weekend I think it will do the job.

Penrite Oil; it was Penrite that recommended their T140 oil and when I rang their customer service frustrated
one morning explained what we were doing and using and what was happening, they rang back about an hour
later apologetic that the oil that they had recommended was not suitable for our motor. That’s when I rang
Mark Walker to help me find a seal solution and the forum came up with a couple ideas. Penrite customer
service spent quite a bit of time trying to find a solution I still use the T140 don’t think there’s anything better
on the market at present in Australia.

C-I What you need to do is devise a similar simple system to induce fresh oil into the case thus flushing the nasty
out as you rattle on into the sunset and hopefully not a looming storm front on the horizon. This might be the
cheapest easiest option.

H-A what a neat looking unit any chance of showing us what you did, I have thought about fitting decent seals
was worried about losing to much bearing area.

Good luck with the run the motor will run all day flat out STD settings we did it day after day.

John
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

thanks John for the clarifications, I wish I had seen your original post earlier but I wasn't a member of the forum when you made your trip. I am waiting for some parts from John SOS to fix up my gearbox and also for a convenient weather window. My intention is to do the trip non stop, so to have any chance of that I must solve the oil problem. I will first test the StrombusMP which looks like a good option, if a bit lighter at viscosity 273. I'll update this post with the details.

AJ
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Now I have the new oil I thought I would do some testing with known quantities of oil and water emulsified in the kitchen blender..... However this idea has been vetoed by the executive and is currently on hold.

AJ
1charan

Post by 1charan »

Adrian Dale wrote:Now I have the new oil I thought I would do some testing with known quantities of oil and water emulsified in the kitchen blender..... However this idea has been vetoed by the executive and is currently on hold.

AJ
You have to warm up the executive to this idea. Maybe start with virgin olive oil and water, then work your way up via canola oil and biodiesel. (of course you should not call it Diesel but something more plant-like.)

Or maybe buy a cheap blender for your shed?? I think a British Seagull has a nice blade at the bottom, all you need is a big bucket like a wheelie bin, and presto! there is your blender.
SJP11446LL parts only, TC52234L unrestored, THC67581L unrestored, FP1986JJ4 running, GF2355EE7 running,TC63272 work in progress, AD52014 unrestored, sEEgull work in progress.