Australian Riptide Sportsman

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Re: Australian Riptide Sportsman

Post by Collector Inspector »

I am looking forward to EVERYTHING regarding Ignition Mate.

I have some numbers..........................hang aye!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

I am sure you enjoyed your Easter Spiro!!

Keep up!

Cheers
S
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Stelios_Rjk wrote:I am sure you enjoyed your Easter Spiro!!

Keep up!

Cheers
S
It's always good to catch up with family and friends Stelios. I hope you enjoyed your Easter also!

OK, with regards to the impeller here's the plan ...... based on readily available parts.

Replacement impeller is a Johnson / Evinrude 3-7.5hp OEM Part Code 434424 or Sierra Part Code 18-3001. This impeller is identical to the original in every respect ie with the exception of the bore dimension which is 7/16" (11.11mm) instead of the required 1/2" (12.7mm).

A reamer will be used to increase the bore to the required dimension. There should remain enough slot in the bore to locate the impeller correctly on to shaft and drive pin. If not, we will deepen the slot in the bore to insure good fit and drive.

The alternative is to use a Mercury Impeller OEM Part Code 47-85089. This is also identical to the original but plastic/nylon bush and increased bore dimesion. An intermediate bush would need to be fabricated to make this option work.

All on record here for anyone looking to purchase/restore a Riptide Sportsman in future. I'm trying hard not to single anyone out here Notav8. Time to get those search goggles on :lol:

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Thats great news. Impeller for older Johnson / Evinrudes are cheap and easy to get. I always have a few lying around. I think I know the bloke you are referring to. :lol: Im sure he is keeping his eyes peeled for more outboards, especially Riptides. :)
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Just received a call from my marine mechanic mate Allister, Impeller with resized bore is ready for pick up. Didn't expect him to actually do the work, but that's the sort of bloke he is.

A step drill, similar to the 3/16" to 1/2" number shown here http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p11091/Halls_XS308_High_Speed_Steel_Step_Drill_3/16_To_1/2in/product_info.html was used for the resize.

Will pick that up tomorrow and cross it off the list of things that need doing before the Sportsman can be reassembled.

Happy days! :mrgreen:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Too buggered to do any more real work, so I thought I'd post here instead :D

Let's start with the upside down water pump. I refer to it as this because the screws that need to be removed to access the impeller are on the underside of the pump housing. Lack of fore-thought in the design department!

Pump housing cleaned outside and in. The inner sides were coated with burnt rubber from the original impeller. Clear evidence it had previously run dry.

Dry fit of the new impellrr. It fits perfectly.

Re-soldered the pic up tube to the lower pump housing. This is to eliminate air being sucked through and to maximise pump performance.

Played around (bending, resizing etc) with the pick up tube to insure pump housing would drop in to position without too much mucking about ie as preparation for final fit-up.

The completed assembly. Dry fit only at this stage.

[Image

Made the necessary repairs to the back-plate of the recoil starter. The solution was to tig weld a 'dowel pin' into the plate. This would then drop in to a hole drilled into the underside of ther upper cowl, preventing the back plate from spinning under spring tension. End result, recoil starter is once again operational.

Finished off by removing the last of the seized bolts and screws. Hopefully the weather will be better next week and we can get the primer on.

Regards,
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Looking good Mate,
Starter was an easy repair. 8)
Not many things left to repair on this Outboard I assume. :)
Cheers
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Is there a thermostat fitted to this motor as that is a very sturdy looking impeller for a motor this small.

If any of the AMOCI guys recognise that water pump can they let us know what it was fitted to.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Well done!

That will be fine and good thinking the recoil by the way.

No thermostat Charles. I believe that the head water jacket was designed accordingly. They ran medium to next down heat range plug specs of the day. I think that the exhaust manifold got the most flow, then the barrels and then the head. Not necessarily in any order of plumbing............just resistance to flow.

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Interesting you say that B, the water outlet bottom
Of cylinder head on mine was deliberately closed by a threaded screw and fiber washer in the bronze outlet fitting.

I wonder, is your open or closed?

Regards,
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles, as stated above, impeller is same as that used in early 3-7.5hp Evinrude outboards. Only difference was the bore.

Regards
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What I was saying badly, is that on a lower unit probably sourced from the US it's more likley that the waterpump also was a US one, so there is a very good chance that there is an impeller purpose made for this unit.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

AusAnzani wrote:Interesting you say that B, the water outlet bottom
Of cylinder head on mine was deliberately closed by a threaded screw and fiber washer in the bronze outlet fitting.

I wonder, is your open or closed?

Regards,
It is a drain from the lowest point of the water jacket. I suppose it could be used for flushing as well

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:It is a drain from the lowest point of the water jacket. I suppose it could be used for flushing as well

B
Thanks Bruce, it shall remain closed then. I hadn't considered drain and/or back flush and not sure it's ever been used on this particular one.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

The normal water discharge is the slot under the exhaust manifold casting..........into the leg through the lower cowl/base.

Tell Tale or Tattle Tale is Visually by the pipe rear starboard side of motor...............most goes to cool leg................left over gets blown out for Your Eyes Only 007

:lol:

B