Seagull model 55 kill switch

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Njtaxguy
Seagull model 55 kill switch

Post by Njtaxguy »

My newly acquired 55 has a 3 inch wire with a plastic connector dangling externally from the mag area. looks factory? The prior owner has some raw wire wrapped around the mounting bracket that he shorts into the connector to kill the motor. I found one thread mentioning rotating the tiller handle downward to kill this motor? If there was a factory kill switch where should it be located? I had a 170 for years and that had a conventional kill switch button.
headdownarseup

Re: Seagull model 55 kill switch

Post by headdownarseup »

most kill switches on seagull motors are mounted on the outside of the ignition housing.(not sure about the 125's or 170's with a plastic cover)
does your motor have a small round hole about 1/2" diameter in the ignition housing, if so, this is where it was fitted.

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Only the 5R, Kingfisher, Osprey, Curlew, 170, 125 & the inboards were fitted with stop buttons, anything else with one is a bodge, fit one if you want anywhere, earth that cable to stop.

Or remove cable from CDI & adjust carb to stop in normal manner, your choice.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

i didn't think that the model 55 ever had a fancy cut off switch!
Just like all the others, stop the motor by correctly adjusting the carb to allow the throttle slide to completely shut, thus stopping the engine. SIMPLES

chances are that this motor might have had a replacement ignition/recoil unit.

Are there any pics of this motor at all?
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

My 45/55 has that wire, and yes it does stop the engine if you earth it.
Quite why Seagull never fitted an actual stop button is the question.
Perhaps they did not have any available, or being pushed for price by the Japanese engines, they needed to pare down costs.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Pics!

We Love Pics!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Njtaxguy

Post by Njtaxguy »

Thanks Mike.there are two factory holes on the undeside of the ignition area and one has the earthing wire dangling. Guess it's your choice of fitting an aftermarket kill switch.
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

Well, despite the rain, in the interest of scholarly research into Seagulls, I have been out into my darkened shed with a torch and examined the underside of my 1983ish electronic 45/55.
Yes there are two machined holes about 170 degrees apart about the main shaft, One has the kill wire, the other has nothing. Referring to my 1984 Mariner 2hp with a stop button, I can only think that there must have been a factory extra.
Any body know anything about this?
OR are 1980's Seagulls too new for serious research\?
Njtaxguy

Post by Njtaxguy »

Earth kill wire
20150710_144851.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If your model 55 has a hole that is 7/8" clearance, that has plenty of room above it for the wires & switch body under the CDI & flywheel, then there is a strong possibility that it could have been fitted with a stop button, even though I've yet to see this model with one fitted.

The holes your talking about are for the HT lead, depending on which CDI was the current model for the year of your motor, your base plate had hole locations for the 40 & the century/102 style crankcases, 3 hex support pillars on the 40's & 4 on the century's of 1/4" clearance, some of which won't have been drilled, the 2 HT lead holes were factory fitted with rubber grommets often removed to ease removal & fitting of CDI's & HT leads.

As you've worked out on your 55 if you ground this wire it stops, & there is no location on these models where the stop button can be mounted where it can't get wet, when it gets wet, the motor stops!

Hence them not being factory fitted.

Your CDI having a stop button wire, just means the person who fitted the CDI, perhaps removed it from a model using a stop button, & didn't know enough to just cut off this wire to prevent any chance of it getting grounded.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Njtaxguy

Post by Njtaxguy »

Thanks for your in depth insight. I just acquired the motor and gave it the shakeout run. It ran remarkably. I didn't touch it mechanically, but it makes sense that it had some ignition upgrade or service because of how remarkably it will low idle compared to other seagulls I've owned. The wire has a plastic cap on it to prevent inadvertent grounding. If I ever open the ignition area i'll remove it at its source. Thanks again.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I have a new unused, untouched in the box type 55, that has exactly the same wire with red connector.

It is just sticking out of ther base plate, so I would say factoy fit.

No sign of any stop button.

There has been a post in the past on this subject, I thought it was agreed then that some motors have a wire from the CDi sticking out the bottom of the base plate.

H-A
Mike Killay

Post by Mike Killay »

The history of my motor is that it was apparently purchased and only used on a local Wiltshire river with an inflatable for fishing.
In the 1990's the owner's health deteriorated and the motor was carefully stored in a shed where it remained until his death in 2014.
I bought it off his nephew and heir.
Although filthy dirty when acquired, it soon cleaned up.
It was a Seagull 45 and came with a spare 55 leg etc.
I think that the cut out wire finishing in a standard bullet connector may well have been original.
There was no reason for the previous owner to remove any stop button.