My favourite Seagull & why.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Rob Ripley

Re: My favourite Seagull & why.

Post by Rob Ripley »

I have a few Seagulls (and probably as many parts). My favorite is SJP55351. Purchased cheaply in 2007 from a Marine dealer who should have known better. He explained that it would be a good source of spare parts as it was worn out, he knew this because of the excessive vertical play with the flywheel. I treat it to 10:1 fuel, occasionally check the gearbox. Always starts (even after months of storage). Will run for hours.
Attachments
DSCF5807a.jpg
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

The Seagull I'm really attached to and use the most is my 1975 40- it's bolted to my dinghy and gets used regularly pottering around the bay's with my little boys, it's a bit battered but reliable, I first used it as a teenager, then it went out of fashion against the modern stuff and ended at the back of the garage until about 10 years ago when I saw the light of this great new hobby. This is one of the motors I would not sell.

But...

My all time favourite Seagull motor is an original, un-restored almost un-touched 1934 Marston OF, 78cc and the first model with a Forward-Neutral-Reverse gearbox, she starts and runs exceptionaly well, so smooth and quite and the gearbox works perfectly. These motors are incredibly complicated but ingenious, when the reverse gear is selected the transom clamp is automatically locked to the motor to prevent tilting and even selecting the gear is so clever, the throttle/revs is set like any other Seagull by using the throttle lever but when the gear lever is moved into either forward or reverse, a gear driven device mounted on the side of the carb slowly lowers the revs to idle before engaging the gear and then as the gear lever is moved a little further, the motor returns to the original revs as set by the throttle lever which means that once the throttle lever is set there is no need to touch it again, the motor is then totally controlled by the gear lever. It has a kill switch, variable timing, a water cooled exhaust, a carb drain and a reserve on the fuel tap. Beautiful, she lives in my hallway and every day I look and touch her.

I guess a very close second would go either to a Marston OA for its prettiness or an OJ for it being the blueprint for virtually ever other Seagull made.
Attachments
image.png
image.jpeg
image.png
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Still waiting on Chas for some pics.
or has he gone all secret squirrel on us.....

Come on Chas, don't be shy :P

Jon

(my pics will be along shortly,don't worry)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I can't post pics with my current operating system/service provider/camera setup as your well aware Jon.

I was going to go in the Curlew direction but Rick UK rather took the wind out of my sails, perhaps I might go 5R, but there are less of them than Curlews so "bigging up" them won't help anybody.

So at this point I'm still thinking of my favorite, but H-A's which one would I save from a fire is a whole different question.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I wasn't aware that you had puta/server problems... (is that due to you being a moderator for the site)

As for a favourite seagull, a good looking 102 any day. (the older the better) Although these days i find myself looking more and more at the smaller gulls like the FV's,LS's,SJM's,SJP's etc.
I still have my first gull i bought 8 years ago, a WSPC, nothing special really,but it always starts easily even after several months of inactivity.

Jon
BroadReach

Post by BroadReach »

My favourite is my 56/57 sjm.

Must have had it for 25 ish years or so.

It's not original by a long shot, has had a hard life. But it is a user. Every weekend in the summer and most weekends in the winter. Looks battered!

But only time it has let me down is when I have done something stupid or not given it that little care it needs.

I'd like to find another one of similar vintage and do a proper but sympathetic restoration so as to keep for "best". But would still need to be reliable user though
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Looking at Rene's post, I too have a 76-40+ that been with me for 35 years now, brought second hand in Jakarta, it has seen service in Singapore, Malaysia, Jakarta Bali, the Maldives as a dive tender, Gaul harbour Sri Lanka and of course Australia. its well warn (just fitted new gearbox bearings) and very battered, it been underwater after flipping behind the yacht getting off a lee shore when the weather turned. Its been flipped and rolled through the surf in Phuket and lived on a sandy beach for a year being used each day to ferry tanks and divers to and from the dive vessels in the lagoon.

It has never let me down and even after the dunking's a quick wash down and a spray with WD40 always got it going so from a pure sentimental reason its the 40+ , still use it to this day

AJ
Attachments
2A0A3885.jpg
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I have been ruminating over this question over the past few days and I simply can't make up my mind.

Many on this board know that I have always been fond of the little ones - the FV series and its close relatives. I can't resist them, and deeply covet those very few early "F" motors with their dinky Amal carb. Bill Pinniger's first attempt at designing a completely new motor.

And I have a very soft spot for the "Transitional" 102 motors - those that started life as Marstons and became British Seagulls. With special love for the OJ, the first of the classic 102s (as has already been pointed out) there's a lot of build quality in these pre-war motors that rapidly disappeared after WW2. Later 102s may be easier to restore, may have better parts availability, but they got a lot cruder.

I'm partial to the SD series, too, they have a story to tell, and they did a genuine job of work.

I've never hankered after the more complicated tear-drop models - those with reverse gearboxes - they're a tad too "Heath Robinson" for me, but I would like to acquire a good (original with lots of finish, not restored) OA, I've been offered a few, but they have always been a bit too far gone.

As a working tool on the transom of a suitable craft the Forties are nice, too. I ran a Forty Plus on the back of my R19 for quite a while and enjoyed it, and I would use it in preference to Centuries or Silver Centuries which of course were more powerful.

The Model 90 that sits on the back of my Westerly Pageant is a good working motor, but I can't work up much actual affection for it. I ran a Kingfisher on there for a short while, a much better motor.

So having "thought out loud" in writing, as it were, I'm going to plump for the OJ and the "Little Model Forty".
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

My OJ and SD side by side, note the several differences but also the similarities. As Charles notes above the OJ was the direct forerunner of the SD both to my mine are beautiful motors.

Some will note the OJ pictured has a gearbox from an ON that is incorrect. the original OJ was direct drive and never produced with the that gearbox. If, and its a big IF an OJ box comes up and I am lucky enough to acquire it I would replace the existing. but in the mean time it is what it is and I shall be using both motors extensively next year during June and July on the canals. I will post details later but it will be a long journey through the UK, and I hope it will catch the attention of a few during the trip.

AJ
Attachments
OJ and SD side by side
OJ and SD side by side
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I have a similar problem to CharlesP, I can't make my mind up.

On a sunny Sunday on the Thames with 2 in my 12" ply dingy, I'd pick a Curlew, lightish only 2 lbs heavier than a model 75, quiet so you can converse without shouting, fuel efficient 10 litres will last almost 8 hours at full throttle, your Mother could start it & using the same gearbox, prop & load, will spin 6 to 800 revs faster.
That's the positive, now the negative, haven't seen one for sale for over a year, they didn't make many & when new, were very expensive, 20% more than a model 55.

Whereas on a sunny Saturday on the coast using the same boat, I would probably take a Kingfisher or an Osprey, 102 cc's & an FNR lower unit plus you get 50% more push with all the QB benefits.

All the QB's have the same negatives, not much chance of one in granddad's shed, & like all 4 of the models in this series require a much more stringent maintenance regime, a lot of work is expected from the crankshaft bearings & conrod, cylinder heads last 25 years ish when used in salt water, but are still available new & the water jackets suffer from salt water corrosion but I haven't seen a broken one yet. The hot aluminium inner exhaust also suffers from the salt water sickness.

So my favourite Seagull is a QB, but which model changes with the location & conditions.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, very interesting to see the comments re transitional Marston and the the little model 40 range. Quite possibly the most influencial engines in regard to what they then spawned.

And of course Charles is right about the QB range, the most developed and user friendly of all seagulls.

I'd add one other engine into the mix, the FPC. Personally I find these smooth reliable and fairly quiet too. Add the clutch and you have a great little outboard, particularly with a recoil starter. As good as a century on many boats but a lot lighter and quieter and more economical.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote: the water jackets suffer from salt water corrosion but I haven't seen a broken one yet.
So my favourite Seagull is a QB, but which model changes with the location & conditions.
DSCN5906.JPG
You have now :lol:
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Nice Crack Aye!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

H-A, casting flaw, rust, or casting flaw & salt?

Well there goes my virginity, don't bin it till I've had a look.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Looks like it's had a hard life, used in salt water and left at the back of the shed?