Australian Seasprite

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Australian Seasprite

Post by AusAnzani »

Almost 18 months after purchase and with a few other projects stalled, I thought it was time to restore the Seasprite.

To begin however, a few pics of what it looked like when found on display and for sale in an antiques store.

And at home after a bit of a degrease and high pressure wash.

As other projects were underway and space was limited, I decided to remove parts, clean/prepare them and reassemble so that nothing became misplaced/lost.

All pretty much stripped of paint here with the exception of the transom assembly and fuel tank which were needed for color matching.

Was able to confirm with members Collector Inspector and Notav8, that this green and blue combination is in fact consistent with other Seasprite outboards of similar vintage and therefore correct. With the original green color matched (see sample below), it was time to proceed with the restoration. Silly me however forgot to take the tank in to also have the blue color matched :oops: so that will have to wait until the next opportunity arises.

With all parts stripped and cleaned, 2 coats each of etch primer, seasprite green and clear coat were applied and allowed to dry before moving on to pre-assembly

Finishing off (with the exception of carburetor and tank) today.

Left of the list of things to do is to repair the damaged flange on the carby, paint and refit the tank and carby and fit a number of new split pins. In the meatime, I've stated to recreate the tank decals. These do vary from year to year (color palette and wording) and hence there's a bit more research to be done before I can move to finalise them.

All going well, the restoration should be completed over the coming weeks.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
notav8

Re: Australian Seasprite

Post by notav8 »

That is looking Fabulous. Great attention to detail, as usual.
It will be interesting to see the Blue Tank bolted on, and the decals finished.
Is the decal from AMECO the same as when A W Pryor started production ?
Cheers
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Does anyone have a picture of one with the head removed & one of the piston at BDC?
What moves the coolant?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles - It's only a 5 minute job to remove the head so I'll take those pics for you tomorrow Charles.

Water movement is under prop pressure. To better explain, I'll post some pics of that for you also.

Mark - The decals are essentially the same. What changes is the color palet and the wording used for the lubrication and operating instructions. For example, the recommended oil changed from a Mobil to a castrol product (or vice versa).

More to come.

Regards
Spiro
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Spiro

That is looking beautiful! Fingers crossed it runs as good as looks. :lol: 8)

First startup vid coming soon eh?

Looking forward to it

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Still curious about the decal. It seems A W Pryor went to some trouble to advertise that they were the manufacturers, with the Rope Pulley, and the Brass Plate. It would seem odd that they would use a decal with the previous companies logo.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks Boyd, I've not tested the ignition system yet so don't really know if it will go. I do know however that all ignition components are available from villiersparts.co.uk so worst case is that a few more dollars will need to be spent before running.

Hi Mark, as you are no doubt already aware, AW Pryor was a distributor of the AMECO Seamaster and Seasprite products before squiring manufacturing rights to the products.

We also know from early advertisements that the Seasprite logo as presented in those advertisements remained consistent prior to and after the acquisition. As that is without question, it is not unreasonable to expect that the logo as appeared on the outboard would also remain consistent/unchanged. That said, the only person I know of who has an AMECO made Seasprite is Bruce. Bruce is therefore the only person I know that can comment on the application and style of the decal and manufacturers plate with absolute certainty.

As you have quite rightly stated, a new rope start pulley was introduced by Pryor ie to promote the Pryor ownership. The manufacturers plate also comprised the AW Pryor name and these together clearly identify the manufacturer, either AMECO or Pryor.

When you get a chance please post up photos of your Seasprite. The lack of any markings and the use of an Amal carb make that unit quite unique, and possibly one of the very last built.

Regards
Spiro
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Charles

Flat top piston and four transfer ports.......I have no pic sorry.

Prop + and - (push and suck) as per....

SeaSpriteScanned-06.jpg
Sorry to jump in S

B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Anytime B,

Pictures as promised Charles. In the first you can see an aluminium casting secured to the underside of the cavitation plate. The opening which forms the water pick up is also visible directly behind the upper prop blade, positioned as such to show that water is delivered under prop pressure.

The following three pics are provided to help better illustrate the design of the above-mentioned casting. Note all parts are spares (some unserviceable) from a Seasprite that spent quite some time under water.

Gearcase and water pick up castings.

Water pick up casting showing the intake forward of the prop.

Underside of same casting. Pick up chamber on the right ultimately leading to upper side of the barrel, discharge chamber on the left fed from the underside of the barrel.

Upperside of the barrel showing (from left to right) the fuel,intake manifold, upper exhaust chamber (closed off by a bronze cover plate as shown in the assembled photo) and water intake.

Underside of the barrel showing (from left to right) exhaust port and water discharge.

Photo of the internals of the barrel (best I could do) from the crank case end showing all 4 transfer ports (as advised by B), fuel intake and the upper and lower exhaust ports. Several others on their their way to you via pm also.

Hope all helps.

Regards,
Spiro
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Interesting & very different, would it be possible as it's in bits to do a brass rubbing of all the ports on a bit of paper cut to size to cover all the bore & label them, so all can understand all the port locations.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Another superb job from down under. You guys are really leading the way at the moment. Love the attention to detail and the fact you are stripping every part to check and make like new. Fabulous. 8)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

That is one interesting engine, Way over complated, but I like it!

Nice work on the resto.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Unfortunately not a lot of progress made so far this week.

Back at work, weather has been crazy (38C Mon, 26C Tues, 42C Wed, 14C yesterday) and I am having trouble deciphering and therefore recreating the decals. It seems that sometime after the change of ownership from AMECO to AW Pryor there was also a change in the specified lubricants ie from Mobiloil BB to Castrol XXL (engine) and Mobiloil UW to Wakefield Castrol ??? (gearbox) and of course the lube instructions that I've recreated and shown above are not correct for this particular Seasprite :roll:

In addition the decals went from 3 piece ie Seasprite logo/name at center rear, lube instructions on one side, operating instructions on the AMECO to an all in one wrap around decal on the Pryor manufactured unit.

I've managed to sort the operating instructions, but still need to sort the lube instructions. If anyone can help decipher from the image below (and the one a couple posts up as they will be similar), it would be greatly appreciated. Lager images available on request.

I did however manage to revisit my supplier and match up the Blue for the tank. See sample pic below and let me know where the new paint has been applied. Near enough to a perfect match IMO, and all done by eye in a matter of minutes.

Look forward to your input.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Just FYI Oils?

MobilOil BB was mono 50

Castrol XXL was mono 40

Mixing stayed the same however.

I can not see the re-jetting between these oils over model years happening so maybe just what was available off the shelf for the owners over many years. Did the heat range of plug change................might look into that and report back.

If anyone wants to know......Castrol XL was mono 30. Usually 16:1 for water cooled AU 2 stroke engines marine or other. Some like the Brittania Swordfish and, the Australian version...Triton were 24:1

For running anything in a tub I use 16:1 covering everything two stroke. It is tub running only so no biggy. Yes....everything.

I will take the AMOCO to our meet tomorrow and leave it in the wings (SHHH....do not tell Boyd). I will also pay more attention as to what the decals say.......many eyes make light work Aye. Others will no doubt take detail pics of all of it that will end up in the right places.

Cheers

BnC

PS: Laptop is swimming in Mad Fish Gold Turtle Margaret River Chardonnay..........obviously working as I type....SHIPS CAT!

or

My inability to hold my drink.

NAH........Blame The Cat Aye Say!
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Great info as always B.

Lube decal for AMECO and very early Pryor is as shown above. Mobiloil BB and UW used on those.

Need lube decal detail for later AW Pryor so your GREEN one would be a better option to take if you can. SG may be taking an AMECO parts outboard (mine) anyway. Last I heard he was having a hard time separating the crank case from the mid/lower. I suspect rusted crankshaft/driveshift coupling otherwise known as the small section of square tube.

As for temp range of plug (or even the plug type) I do not know. I only have an AMECO manual on file. If you could let me know that would be great.

Going nuts here, I have at least 6 outboards now at 95% completion and am struggling to progress them because of issues like this. Grrrrrr .......... :roll:

Regards,
Stressed :lol:

PS: I've been looking closely at the pics of your AMECO. List of differences between that an the later AW Pryor is MUCH bigger than first anticipated and already discussed between us. Will do comparison doc and send it to you in due course .... or maybe a separate thread here to share with all.

PPS: Hope you guys have a great time tomorrow. I'm so disappointed I couldn't make the trip over.