Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Oyster 49

Re: Opinions...

Post by Oyster 49 »

Ooh very nice.Thats an early post war engine by the looks of it, the tank could possibly be from a slightly later engine. Direct drive and long water jacket, so perhaps a model D or AD. It could also be a SDP with some wrong bits

It will be interesting to see what it is and what it is made up of.

At £140 a little higher than UK prices maybe. Worth having. Note the small diameter rope pulley which certainly comes from early post war.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

If i could see a bit more in the pics i could give you a better idea,BUT from what i can see it looks like a pre 1949 AD (going by the slotted core plugs) but the lower unit for some reason looks a bit wrong to me. The serial number will give me a better clue. (I'll take a guess that it's a 6-10,000 number, but possibly no higher than a 14,000 number)
Most of these early post war (and pre 1950 102's) that i have data on seem to have the SD prop matched to the straight out back exhaust (as is this one) where the motor in the pics quite clearly has a bowtie prop? The gearbox looks (from what i can see) to fit in with the rest of the motor. The thumb throttle i'm still not quite sure on yet (looks much earlier)

As this is an aussie motor (and going from data) a lot of anomolies seem to appear for some reason when compared to uk motors. I dont know why this is, still trying to get to the bottom of it but it takes time. (2 1/2 years on when i started all this data collecting, slowly but surely i am making headway)
All i need is more data to fill in some of the gaps......

It all looks honest enough though.

My opinion-----go for it. You can't beat a good looking 102.
Keep us posted on the serial number though, and IF you get it,send me the data (and your others too) :P

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The pictures lack detail but I think the gearbox is nipples, plus is that green paint on the leg. Could even be a SD with incorrect later parts. Make an offer, and if it's a bitsa so be it.

That black tiller with Dover grip with correct SD Amal lever could be SDP. Who knows until you get it home. Can't beat a mystery..
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Since it's in my neck of the woods, I'll save you all some time.

Serial number is AD6061 produced 1948-49

Now for opinions based on that.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Sorry, double post removed.
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Well

Had a chat to the seller today. He said that his dad bought it and used it on a little dinghy for a long time.
Spiro is right regarding serial number, seller is down to $160aus (£80 give or take).

Question I'm asking myself is do I want this or a clutched 102?
Also bearing in mind that it is far away for me, so it won't be a $160 motor after shipping is factored in.

What would you do if you didn't have a clutched 102 and were in this position?

Input appreciated

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If you found a clutched one with a shot block and cheap you may regret not having bought this for parts! But yeah, transport cost is a killer. Personally I dont buy unless I can get somebody to transport it or I really want it and it is well priced. I would give it a miss, though the original tank with patina and decal appeals.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Go for it it's worth having, anything from that period is nice to have. You could always fit a clutched period bottom end if you really fancied a clutch. Dead easy and also easy to convert back.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I had a sneeky suspicion that this old dear might possibly be a "golden oldie".
I was almost right then, a 6,000 number. Ties in with some of my data at least. I'm pleased.

Now the debate over clutched or non clutched. Either way i still like 'em whichever way they were made. The choice is entirely down to you.
In my opinion (for what it's worth) this motor is still worthy of anyone's collection.Whether or not it still retains all its original parts is still to be confirmed. (i'm working on it, but as you know it takes time,bear with me) It still looks honest enough to me though, it's not hiding too many surprises from what i can see.
Clutched motors in some cases are slightly more user friendly in that the engine can be started at the dockside and warmed up with no surprises. I like them too.
But sometimes these direct drive models are overlooked for the wrong reasons. (my opinion again) but as Hugz and others have mentioned it's a doddle to swap over to a clutched bottom end.
It's an oldie for sure, and if i was much nearer i'd snap it up, but i dont need another AD .

Go on, buy it. You might just regret it one day if you dont!

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I've noticed that AD's are a lot more plentiful in oz than the UK. The AC are a rarer breed. I haven't managed to find one yet but have found 4 SD's locally..... Strange.!

We have come across a few cases of Seagull dealers changing the AD box to a clutched one which would also reflect that not many AC's were destined for our shores.

My preferred seagull I use for pleasure is a freshwater AD with straight exhaust. Quiet with nostalgic looks.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Boyd, seller dropped his price after I told him that he and most Seagull sellers in Aus were dreaming when it came to price.

For what it's worth I paid $50 my last AD and it's much, much nicer than the one advertised. I paid $30 for my first AD, but that turned out to be a parts motor only. Incidentally both were advertised for well above $200.

Even though he has dropped his price, that one sent via Pack'n'Send or similar will still finish up near enough to $300 delivered to you.

That combined with the fact that there seems to be plenty of AD's in Aus (as confirmed by Hugz above), leads me to suggest you wait until another closer to you pops up.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

To give some idea to UK'ers Melbourne to Perth is approx the same distance as England to Malta!
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Spiro

Yes I agree with you.I have decided to let it pass as i'm sure there will be something closer.

Shipping costs are just unfeasible and at the end of the day, it is unfortunately just not worth it.

I hope something nice pops up over here soon!

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

And you save the stress of dealing with couriers!