Prices and Perceived Value

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Prices and Perceived Value

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hi All.

Many of us have commented time to time that Gull perceived value and auction results, both + and - revolving around a medium value has been steadily increasing world wide.

Probably not a bad thing, then again depends on what you need to bye.

Very interesting this trend.

Gulls are running out within the hands of the seller......Gulls are now more known because of this site and interest within.......especially now that this interest is Global. (Forget America as they just do stupid things etc) No offence to the Galactic Police.

What I mean as to a Value of any Gull.....1931 to now......really whatever someone is willing to do.

IF YOU HAVE QUALITY HISTORICALLY and proper spare parts......any model.....this is gold. I say gold with lower case G.

Here in Au just Ebay the base prices are up. They are up for mostly what we TERMED "JUNK" a few years ago. Spare parts etc.

Now spare parts and a possible restoration is worth far more as a gamble.

I believe that this is true. A result of progression of the informed being open to all.

Not just a Gull ....lots of stuff that can be realised for CASH. Yeh, no debt just cash what an idea that is?

example AU

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121864010115 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111867507222 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121863085781 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161943062227 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262234807390 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181988220214 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181988244517 ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mandurah ... 1100811646

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/shelley/ ... 1078744418

Then there are Seagull Want........This term should be a Noun, pronoun and whatever

Basically what I have complete and spare parts..........they are expensive to those off the street from now on......

There are some locally in AU nation wide that just have "Parts" these have historically been rather cheap up till now. Get an old outboard that looks the goods at premium $ and then.............falls apart because of the kit is not all that good........maybe bin it and start again. Carb is wrong or not working, flywheel must be correct because it looks good in a pic, transom clamp assy.........OH my God seen enough of this to last a lifetime.

The next best thing is blocks and barrels bogged up from the outside

Ask if it runs and demand proof! Just saying as WTF elsewise?

Community we talk and deal as always.

Just Saying

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Re: Prices and Perceived Value

Post by Charles uk »

The strange thing is that during the entire history of Marston/British Seagull 1931 to 1994, about 1,000,000 outboards left the factory, in fact the record monthly production was just over 7,000 I think in the very late 60's, so there should be more than enough to go around.
And it's the common or garden models that seem to command the higher prices that the more exotic ones can't realise.

The high prices down under are strange as in the 60s, 70s & 80s the Aussies were famous for not throwing much away & you used to fall over them everywhere.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

And then there's folks that are on ebay JUST to make a profit at all costs from what was considered "junk" only a few years ago.

I suppose this hobby is a bit like classic cars in a way. Think back to the 80's and early 90's when prices for hum drum average kinds of cars were being sold and bought for astranomical prices (ferrari's aside for the moment) There was a "trend" back then that anything old was worth a lot of money. Fast forward 20 odd years, and the same cars are worth half what they were valued at back then, or so it seems.I'm reffering to MG's, Triumphs,Morgans,some of the american stuff although the late 60's and early 70's muscle cars are selling well at the moment. Doesn't always work the way you want it to.

I think most of us on here have a pretty good idea of what a seagull is worth (depending on age and model etc.), but there's always somebody out there that will try and push the prices sky high. The evidence is clear to see even today. You only have to look at some of the gulls and other outboards being sold on whatever selling site locally to you.
Trends! Maybe. Supply and demand quite another. By the looks of it, it's more a sellers market rather than a buyers market right now.
20 years from now, who knows what the average seagull will be worth. Hopefully a bit more than what we've paid for them and spent on them over the years.
Just my thoughts

Jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

a case to point, I am using WSCP's for my Bass Strait run and although I have two excellent engines that I have stripped and rebuilt for the trip I wanted a third for break down and spares. One came up on Gumtree in Launceston, just up the road from me (300Kl); the asking price 540$. Frankly I nearly didn't bother making an offer however I suggested 180$ and it was accepted... On picking up the engine I asked why he had placed such an unrealistic price on it and it turns out that it had just been a guess based on zero knowledge. he had been given the engine many years previously for a job and it had laid in the garage ever since.

the point is that I am probably the only person in Tasmania to have a use for such an engine. After all they are very heavy and this one although complete would need a full strip down to be serviceable. so to me it was a good find, just what I wanted, to any one else its junk..

The gearbox, mag, carb, tank and drive shaft etc. will be stripped serviced and packed as Main Spares, the rest will sit in the shed till I return.

AJ
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

An interesting discussion this one. I suspect oz prices are creeping higher due to perceived rarity value, bit I'd suggest digging the heels in and avoid bidding wars on run of the mill engines.

In the uk there has not been a lot of historic stuff about recently, but a straight FVP recently sold on an well known auction site for £30 which is a nice buy for whoever won this one.

I share Bruce's view, I'm also starting to gather rare spares and future project engines now, and offloading the others. It will keep my hobby going for ages on a pre paid basis.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The strange thing is that I posted a for saleadd as I've decided to down size the quantity of rare spares that I hold, & only sold £50 worth via it.

Yet 3 or 4 phone calls to the dealers that I know resulted in the last 4 weeks in 40 times that value in sales so I can't have been too expensive.

I've still loads to go, so email me your wants list & maybe I can make your dreams come true & aid me with my down sizing.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Oyster

re the last FVP that sold recently, did anyone notice it had a broken stud/nut through the cylinder head?
It was probably £30 for that very reason. Still, cheap enough as long as it can be repaired i guess.

I very nearly had a go on it till i looked closely at the pics and thought, NAH!

Still, there's some bargains to be had if you look carefully.

Jon
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Jon is right, only recently I have been offered a 102 with bowtie prop for $40, and that should be coming to me pretty soon from Canarvon (up the coast from me).

I can't say much more about it apart from the throttle cable is broken, the fuel tank has been replaced with a plastic one and the gearbox lubricant has solidified.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I'd have bought that FVP at that price, well worth having even for the spares. Unfortunately I'm working abroad again.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

AusOB_Collector wrote:
Jon is right, only recently I have been offered a 102 with bowtie prop for $40, and that should be coming to me pretty soon from Canarvon (up the coast from me).

I can't say much more about it apart from the throttle cable is broken, the fuel tank has been replaced with a plastic one and the gearbox lubricant has solidified.

Cheers
BP
I feel that you will receive $40.00 value at whatever add the postage is BP.

Just saying.

Keep us informed aye.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

BnC

The seller owns a transport company and says that he will organise one of the drivers of his truck to chuck it in the cab and bring it down with him for free so $40 worth of seagull is it.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Can't say any fairer than that.
You lucky fella you.
:P

Jon
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Yes, thats good buying at $40 delivered. It will be interesting to see how the prices go in the future. I have been a collector / restorer all my working life, early years were vintage cars, and later years outboards, and I have seen prices go very high, and then fall down and stay down. I think a lot of value is sentimental, as the item was something that you had or wanted in your youth. I don't know of any vintage outboard collectors in my area. Plenty of collectors of cars, motorbikes, lawnmowers etc. It seems generally, that people are selling old outboards as a way of clearing out the shed etc, and try to sell instead of dumping. It is becoming more difficult to find decent restorable outboards, and parts. I have several dismantled, waiting for parts, and most of the time, the only parts available, are from another collector. Most collectors (me included) don't want to part with items that are hard to find, and thats ok.
I think collecting is fun, and will keep doing it. I don't think that if I hold onto my collection, it will bring great wealth.LOL
I think we all have our own ideas on prices, and it really only matters to the individual .
Cheers
MnR
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If you think seagulls are getting exxy check this out. And it is not an isolated case.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281913160961 ... rmvSB=true

It even has a chopstick lump :shock:

My old hippy van is :oops:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Just went though your original listings Bruce and the seventh:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181988244517 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Is possibly a "D". The remains of a skeletal bracket. At that price someone should grab it!

Also I like the motor cutout on the last one!