Opinions...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Re: Opinions...

Post by headdownarseup »

Hugz
I think the mention of some dealerships in the past swapping lower units has been talked about recently on here.As i mentioned a little while ago, "anomolies" with aussie motors seem quite common. (i'm still trying to work out exactly why). Why not just order a clutched version of the 102 to begin with, instead of "undoing" BS's hard work? I wonder if there's any old dealership documents over in Australia that might be able to point us in the right direction?
How were these seagulls shipped to that side of the world? Were they in some sort of kit form,partially assembled so the choice could be made between either direct drive or clutched? At this stage i dont know, but it might help to know how things were done over there!
Dont mind me, i'm just thinking out loud :roll:

Would any members in that part of the world be willing to find out for me? (pretty please) It would make my job a bit easier this end.....

Still, they are what they are. Old seagulls with an interesting history for some.
They're almost like buses. You wait for ages for just 1 to turn up, then out of the blue several turn up all at once.

Be patient Boyd, a good 'un will show up eventually.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You may well find Charles P has already got some information about how engines were shipped and who the main importers were.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

I know in Hobart the agents name was "Motors" Argyle street I think. They were as the name suggested a car sales establishment.. UK cars and Holden's. Its unlikely they would have imported direct from BS but have been supplied by a Mainland company. Any info would be interesting. I have a couple of AD's.

AJ
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Jon

I can dig around for seagull dealers here in Aus but can't guarantee finding any documents relating to dealers changing seagull to order.

I will keep you updated.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You will have to start searching all the old boat related magazines articles & small adds, at least you shouldn't have to sort the years when you were restricting imports.

This would have been quite an expensive upgrade in the 60s & 70s or were they all fuelled by robbing dead ones?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Good Choice Boyd as we discussed the other day.

Something nicer always pops up aye.

As discussed and as per above from others parts motors come along and some form of communication with a seller is always warranted. Early days so watch what is available for a while until you get "Your Aye In"

EYE

:lol:

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

At this stage i dont know, but it might help to know how things were done over there!
Dont mind me, i'm just thinking out loud :roll:

Would any members in that part of the world be willing to find out for me? (pretty please) It would make my job a bit easier this end.....
Jon

I have found one seagull dealer/ distributor over here in Sydney, 'Danger, Gedye & Malloch ltd.'
They (I am led to believe) were the importers of the little model 40's in the early 1950's. They were the sole distributors in NSW for seagulls.

I am led to believe that if seagulls were shipped over in crates and then sold on over here then they would have been assembled in the factory in England, and then the different variations would be sold as required...

More info coming soon.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Thanks Boyd.
Every tiny little snippet of information helps to fill in the blanks so to speak.

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Petty sure my FVP came from the Wagga branch. They were in Perth too.
baby british seagulls.jpg
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5151
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I've just noticed this clipping is from "seacraft".
Is this magazine still available today in aus?

Jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Motors Pty Ltd Hobart History: The Motors business commenced operations in 1910 selling Ford cars & tractors. In 1929 Motors was appointed the only Tasmanian dealer of General Motors' products. Since that time the business has operated under a number of owners, and for a period of time the Tasmanian operations were listed on the Hobart Stock Exchange. The Birrell Motors Group, which purchased Motors Pty Ltd in March 2001, currently operates in two states of Australia - Victoria and Tasmania.
They were Tasmania's Seagull stockists in the 40's and 50's but no records remain.

AJ
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

I thought you might like this one ....[attachment=0]IMGP5693.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMGP5693.JPG
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

AC860, that's an early one ROB.

Send me the rest of its data so i can add it to the "list".
Every little bit helps. (trust me, it really does)

Jon
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

I think I did some time ago, can I see the list ?
Attachments
IMGP5928.JPG
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Nice.. My collection of 102 consisting, of two SD's; two AD's; two TC's, one TD and one WD. is missing an AC.. Hope to find one day... I keep looking

AJ