AD16381

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Re: AD16381

Post by headdownarseup »

Both my D and C are in the same configuration due to the metal fuel line, and indeed my AC an AD . (bowl to the right)
I actually quite like the appearence of these metal pipes. It just goes to show how these motors changed a bit in spec over the years, perhaps down to the availiability of certain materials at that time being so soon after the war. (i think that particular photograph is dated from around 47 if i remember correctly)

I find it strange that after many years of service/ownership, someone would want to "alter" the original set up. Perhaps this might be due to a steering issue as has already been mentioned. Perhaps down to a tropical climate too. (this is what i have seen many times before whilst surveying a few hundred of these 102's now) Bowls on either side with early A series motors (again not saying it's right or wrong) is just how some of them appear today in 2016, and NOT ( i stress the word NOT) how they should look going by 1940's/50's spec.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

At the time of typing this there are currently less than 100 entries on my data sheet.
You mention surveying "A few hundred" but only having data for less than 100? To be honest I think to log 102 data is a worthy task, but I think I would have stuck to the wartime engines with a narrower timeframe. It's a mammoth task on engines that are often chopped and changed like triggers broom..

Are you going to share what you have so far? I'm sure a hundred is a reasonable sample to see what can be surmised.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Army setup. note the side bracket, bowl position and copper fuel pipe
Attachments
SD 1942.jpg
SD 1942.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 290 times
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

The trouble is Oyster is that the data so far is spread too thinly in my opinion to even contemplate.

A few more emails to be sent and with a bit of luck in the coming months i will be able to share something soon, but until then.....

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I was told last week of 1 of the 3 known type B wartime SD brackets, this ones complete & unmessed with, (as in picture above) will be coming up for sale in the near future, I'm downsizing so it's not something I'm looking for, but if you feel you've got to have one, I'll pass your name on & see if we can avoid another ebay feeding frenzy.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Please throw my name in the hat Charles. Would compliment my SD collection :idea:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

A little bit more progress.

Managed to put together a decent transom bracket albeit that it still has a few non-original parts. From what I understand the tilt pin should be bronze, the drive shaft clamp should have studs (not bolts), and the tilt stay bolt I'm unsure about.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the drive and exhaust tubes just yet. In terms of plating, both are in poor condition. In the meantime, I've done a pre-assembly of the power head. Although the flywheel is dated correctly, I believe the ignition plate is not period correct. If I'm not mistaken it should be the rimmed version. The one currently fitted is rimless.

It seems to me that there aren't all that many Seagull outboards in Australia that are factory original with regards to components. This leads me to think many were assembled from parts shipped to Australia ie rather than complete outboards, and/or that changes were made by individuals during servicing or breakdown repair.

More later.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I go away for a week and so much to catch up on aye.

This is really looking the goods S.

I am thinking that the ignition plate is correct......

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I have seen a bolt all the way through before. The skeletal brackets use that system.
Attachments
Transon bracke stay1.JPG
Transom bracket stay.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If your Seagull has a full engine number on the crankcase, it left the factory fully assembled, after it passed the test tank it was removed from the tank, cleaned, then given a serial number from the build book which was then stamped on the crankcase.

Though in Australia there is the Olympic which has some Seagull components as did the Montessa in Spain & there was talk of something similar in South America, giving support to the theory that quantities of components escaped into the free world.

It would be interesting to know what Olympic bits came from Seagull & whether they would still be useable on a Seagull.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I would have thought that the ignition would have been rimless, its a early 50's motor.
That seems to be a heavy duty bolt on the transom, like the bolts on the clamp that should be studs, its been played with.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks Hugo and Keith, that would explain the dodgy holes at each end of the tilt stay. Whoever pulled the bronze inserts did a sh^tfull job.

Thanks B, approx. 5 hours work in that transom bracket believe it or not. Made up from 2 seized units. Lots and lots of MAP gas involved and still not right in terms of original components. Best I could do with my limited Seagull parts. Grrrrr.

So you reckon that ignition plate might be right? How can we tell for sure. My other AD (more recent with 46xxx or 48xxx serial number) has a rimmed type, but it's been butchered and is seized to the upper crank case.

Limited progress now until I resolve the drive and exhaust tube issues.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Sorry gentlemen the fellow who expressed an interest first, seems to have bought it.

Though why anyone would want a transom bracket that won't fit on their boat & weighs almost 11 kilos, beats me!