1963 LLS Century model 100 powerhead woes

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

cajuncook1

1963 LLS Century model 100 powerhead woes

Post by cajuncook1 »

Gentleman, it has been a while since I have posted, but I do like to come and visit and read the on goings.

Well, to my dilemma. I purchased a 1963 Seagull LSS model 100 4hp motor. Needless to say, the UPS postal service decided it was going to try and destroy another old dear. The tank was damage pretty bad and they also damaged the powerhead. Pretty hard to do, but they did a splendid job of it. The power head portion that was damaged was where the carburetor connects to it. The rounded portion was broken clean off.
20160114_114355.jpg
What type of metal is the powerhead made of and can it be welded?

[/size]
Last edited by cajuncook1 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
notav8

Re: 1963 LLS Century model 100 powerhead woes

Post by notav8 »

If it was mine, I would replace the block. If you are going to restore the engine, it will have to be dismantled for cleaning etc, so you will be able to decide then. Im sure it could be welded, but its unlikely to look "Factory". Century blocks are reasonably easy to find.
Fuel tank is a bother. Lots of time to get the dents out and refinish.
Good luck with the resto.
Cheers
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The cheapest fix would be to take it into your local engineering workshop with the broken off bit & ask them to turn up a threaded inlet stub & ask them to drill & tap the cylinder to suit, almost invisible.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi David

I am sure that UPS has some improvements that can be made, I am still waiting for side cowls for my 1937 sportsman from KevinF from AOMCI.

If you need the get a completely new block, talk to either John who owns SOS and get one sent over or talk to Doug Penn, I know he has some seagull stuff.
Charles' idea can possibly work, if you have a lathe maybe it might pay to try yourself...

Maybe talk to Art Dekalb, he has some seagull bits I'm pretty sure.
We love pics here, same as the blue boards so more pics of the whole motor etc much appreciated.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Mutineer

Post by Mutineer »

Neat. Looks like there's an extra fuel inlet for the tank annnnd an extra pulley atop the flywheel. an alternator rig of some sort?
If attacked by a group of clowns
Go for the juggler!
cajuncook1

Post by cajuncook1 »

Charles uk wrote:The cheapest fix would be to take it into your local engineering workshop with the broken off bit & ask them to turn up a threaded inlet stub & ask them to drill & tap the cylinder to suit, almost invisible.

Charles UK, what an excellent idea! Before you responded, I was contemplating boring out the power head's nipple for the carb and sliding in a sleeve held in place with some high temp JB weld. I like your idea better.

AUSOB_COLLECTOR, good to see you here on the SOS forum! I am planning to take down the power head and evaluate the cylinder bore and look at the crank and piston. If the power head is not salvageable, then John the SOS owner will get an email from me inquiring a price for a used model 100 powerhead.

Mutineers, I know little to nothing about this motor. I got this motor on ebay, hoping to rehab and clean up the motor. UPS, decided to treat it very poorly. I noticed the fuel valve added onto the tank. It probably supplied fuel mix from a larger gravity tank for long trips. I did not think about the additional attachment on top of the flywheel as being a for alternator or generator. Cool idea !

Cheers,

David
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

I have a spare LLS cylinder, but I think the cost of the part and shipping to the U.S. might be a bit horrible, or at least exceed what you may have paid for the whole thing.
I can weigh it and get a budget price if you are interested (also have a decent tank) - let me know

Rick