fuel tank query

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Rob Ripley

fuel tank query

Post by Rob Ripley »

Can fuel tanks (for the C100, Silver Century and 40+) be swapped ?
Which furl tanks had fuel tap provision on both sdes ?
headdownarseup

Re: fuel tank query

Post by headdownarseup »

Most of the fuel tanks will swap over from one motor to another.
The brass oval tanks fitted to motors equipped with a villiers carb should be a straight swap like for like.It shouldn't really matter too much if its from a 40 or a 100 motor as the fuel tap should be in the same location.
The later silver century motors equipped with an amal carb will often have a steel fuel tank, unless it's already been swapped for the more reliable and less prone to internal corrosion older tank. A close look at the bottom of the tanks will reveal the conventional fuel tap fitting and a blanking plug.Remove and re-fit the tap and blanking plug to whichever way suits the application.These tanks can be a "universal" fit, but must have the fitting bracket/carrying handle in order to fit them to the cylinder head mountings.It wont work without it.
There are also some brass oval tanks that were held in an aluminium cradle/support with 2 straps securing the tank to the cradle. Some of these tanks did not have the 2 little lugs that poke through so you can rest the motor tank side down without scratching the paint. Some (not all) can be fitted either way around to align with the fuel pipe.So again, a "universal" fit.
Not too difficult to work out really, so long as you know which side the fuel outlet is on, most things can be done.

Just to be "different to the rest", i've made up a pair of custom made metal tank mountings for an older 102, so i can use a late model long range steel tank with carry handle.Quite easy to do and works well for that extra range.

Very adaptable the old seagulls.

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

My understanding is that Seagull produced a universal replacement oval tank with a fuel port either side and the two brass stregthening/rest rods transversing either side. I've yet to see one in the flesh.

I've seen an incorrect tank with an extended fuel line across the head which looks daft. An incorrect tank can also be mounted in reverse but if it has the chilly day niplets they need to be trimmed so as not to foul the mag.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Just to be "different to the rest", i've made up a pair of custom made metal tank mountings for an older 102, so i can use a late model long range steel tank with carry handle.Quite easy to do and works well for that extra range.

Any chance of a picture or two of the bracket, Please.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Well that will certainly give us a few things to discuss at the next (3rd) Seagull Nationals.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Yes they did Hugo, all the twin carb Century racers have to have a brass one, all the plastic late model tanks have twin outlets.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.