Evinrude (1914 Model B?) Row Boat Motor

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: Evinrude (1914 Model B?) Row Boat Motor

Post by AusAnzani »

Comparing this to 40's, 50's and 60's outboards from Australia and the UK, you'd have to say there's not that much difference really. Certainly there are differences in the materials used, the volumetric efficiency (hp per cubic inch), and styling maybe, but other than that it's a case of same same in my humble opinion. That said, it's nice to have one over 100 in the collection and after a bit more research on barrel and crank case castings, I can confirm that it is at least 101 years of age!

As mentioned, the plan was to remove all the home modifications and photograph for the experts at AOMCI to see and provide their comments, the webmaster is yet to set up my account so I'm stuck waiting.

Removed parts include magneto and exhaust.

You can see that they had gone to quite a bit of trouble to fit the magneto. Interesting to note however is that is was no way to advance/retard ignition timing, and hence way to vary the speed as far as I could tell anyway. The sad part is that to make this and the rope start function they've had to drill and tap holes into the flywheel to make it all work, which creates a problem for me now.

The silencer may in fact be original to models 1909-1913 but I don't think it will be salvageable anyway.

Another interesting mod is this choke assembly that's been added between the barrel and carburettor. Kind of looks like original equipment there, but clearly not once it was cleaned up.

The fuel tank has also had a section removed (presumably due to rust) and a repair/modification made which means the carb does not connect quite as it should.

An adaptor has ben fitted between the spark plug and barrel/head, presumably to allow more readily accessible spark plugs to be used. Finding out the spark plug type will confirm the afore-mentioned or give clues as to another modification possibly made due to a bad thread etc.

There's broken bracket in the tilt assembly that will need to be repaired or replaced. This assembly also gives some clues as to the manufacturing year range.

Research confirms there are at least two versions of the reversing gearfoot. What we see here however is water pick up (section above the ring with the holes) is incorrectly mounted forward instead aft of the main trunk. The fixing screws need to be loosened and the whole lot just rotated 180 degrees.

A closer look at the serial number and section of the flywheel. This particular flywheel design appears to be limited to the 1914 year only. The serial number also suggests 1914 build however the Model B reference implies there should be no reversing gearfoot. Problem is the more I look, the more I'm convinced the reversing gearfoot is original to this particular outboard. So the questions are; was the wrong plate fitted during the original build, has the tank (and hece ID tag) been replaced at some stage etc etc.

Anyway, this will give some clues as to where we finished for the day. I'm yet to separate the barrel from the crank case, but can say also rotates very smoothly and without any odd noises, the compression feels good, and previous owner had the foresight to semi-fill barrel with oil before putting in to storage.

More later.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Looking good S,
I'm curious about the choke piece. Are you suggesting that the choke is made up, or adapted from some other model. If that piece wasn't there, what would be used instead.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi M,

Yeah, that piece is definitely home made and does not belong. According to all Model A and Model B photos in that year range that I've checked thus far, there should be nothing between the carby and the barrel.

Regards,
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Cool. I think it would be a restriction anyway, and may affect the performance at top speed. LOL
Cheers,
M
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Very nice S.

Very cool piece of history there and well worth the effort.
Gently does it now, dont want to break anything.

Jon
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Not to worry Jon, this one is coming apart very easily.

No need for heat on anything thus far.

Regards,
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Did a little bit me preparatory work on the Evinrude RBM over the weekend, and also made a call to the previous owner to gather some information re its history. This proved to be very interesting and gave some clues (not confirmation) as to how this and other RBM’s may have ended up in Australia back in the day. Think end WW1!

Turns out the original Australian owner of this RBM was an Aircraft Engineer during WW1 and was the great grand father of the person I purchased the RBM from.

Still a long way to go but .....

Granfather of the previous owner knew what he was doing when he put this in to storage some 30 years ago. He blocked the water intake and filled the water cavity in the barrel with oil. Needless to say there was plenty of oil in the cyliner and crank case as well. As a result no rust in the water jackets, 100 year plus barrel in good order.

Bore and piston look great. No scoring or any other marks to be seen on either.

Correct assembly or water pump on drive tube. Was previously reversed!

The conrod, taken from another machine, modified and used to create the tiller.

Heavilly rusted transom bracket looking better, but still far from being ready to prime. This was a right pain in the backside to do. Planning now to make an electrolytic rust removal bath to finish this off an have available for future restos.

Boyd, here are some casting numbers that I intend sharing with the experts on AOMCI to assist with model/year ID. Might also be worth recording these against serial number of all other RBM’s in Australia you are aware of.

Barrel.

Upper Crank Case.

Lower Crank Case.

Water Pump.

Gearbox.

Transom Assembly.

PS: Turns out that nasty muffler/silencer is original Evinrude also (Pre 1914 Maxim). Will clean up ok, but probably not reusable as it's had a couple of extra holes drilled in to it.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

The weather in Melbourne has been pretty rotten (on weekends only :evil: ) so there hasn't been too much progress made to the RBM over the last week or so.

Did however get a chance to muck about a little bit yesterday, just to see where I might be able to finish up with this given time and a bit of effort. Nothing yet completed, so take only as an indicator of what is yet to come.

Flywheel tidied up a little bit. Most of the dings and scrapes gone with the exception of a few remaining that I'll get too soon. Underside showed evidence of Nickel plating before clean up. still a bit more to do there. Hole for starting knob filled by previous owner, as well as a few extra holes drilled/tapped to take the non-original rope pulley.

Crank case cleaned up. Still a little bit of muck in some hard to reach places, otherwise essentially done. Has been internally cleaned also (no pics sorry) although am yet to remove conrod to check for babbit (white metal) and finish off. Hopefully next weekend.

Long way to go yet on the muffler/silencer. This has proven to be original equipment mounted on a home made manifold. Will be able to improve significantly from here also. There are a few dings needing attention as well as a couple of holes (drilled by the previous owner) that need to be filled before final refinishing.

A closer look at the gearbox/water-pump suggests conversion from Model A to Model B or vice versa may be possible, but will also confirm with Doug Penn or the experts on AOMCI before doing too much more.

Drive gear is not in the best condition and am struggling at this point to understand how to remove it without causing damage elsewhere. Without doing that, it's not possible to remove the prop-shaft to check for internal wear and to thoroughly inspect the pinion gear. I am hoping replacement gears will be available, time will tell.

Managed to sand some of the scratches and smaller dings out of the gearcase, and gave a quick polish just to see that how it may come up nearer to finishing. As indicated above however, I won't be doing too much more to this until I've got a good handle on the pump situation and which way the resto is likely to go.

More down the track.

Regards,
S
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

B E A utiful.

It's truly amazing to think that something THIS OLD can clean up this good.
Very nice work so far S.

Gently does it dont forget!

Jon
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Great job, I missed a slightly earlier one on ebay, my max bid was £650.

Interesting bit of history, when you consider the cars of that era,and aeroplanes of that date.
original[1].jpg
146[1].jpg
Hope you get it running AOMCI are the guys to talk to.

Keep posting the pictures " we all love a few pictures"

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks guys,

That's a reproduction muffler/silencer as noted in the supporting text. Even without that though, it's fairly easy to spot as a reproduction part anyway. Note all the holes are of a consistent size. On the original they vary (two sizes), well at least on mine they do anyway.

Still have a long way to go cleaning up those parts, and will get that muffler as good as now with a bit more work.

As said in the above post, was just a muck about day. I do that sometimes, partly to get a feel of how things could finish up, but mainly because I struggle with spending countless hours on one part only. So I do a little bit to this and a little bit to that, just to help keep myself motivated lol

AOMCI guys have been helpful, but I think I may have inadvertently upset a few. Time will tell.

One provided a speadsheet that detailed parts/features by year. With that I've been able to pin it down to 1914 or 1915 with a 1916 or newer 3-ring piston.

There are still some questions remaining, and working through those will help to build knowledge and experience.

In the meantime, I've sent photos of missing and potentially changed out bits to the guy I bought it from ie as there is a chance they're still in the shed where this RBM has sat for over 30 years.

What he turns up will also answer some of those questions.

Regards,
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Its good that you can save the Muffler. Maybe the couple of extra holes won't be that noticeable .
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

With some advice from a very helpful member of the AOMCI, I was able to strip the gearbox completely and knock out those half inch deep craters on the undersides that had been caused by running aground. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but much, much better than it was.

The craters referred above can be seen in one of the earlier posted images, copied here.

The gears are not in the best possible condition, but as they will see no real load (tank run only) should be ok for several more years use.

Unfortunately there are no “off the shelf” replacements either here or in the US. The gear on the prop shaft in particular is case with a cam on its leading edge to drive the water pump.

Some RBM enthusiast over in the US, have made replacement gears (and gearboxes for that matter), but these items are not often made available for sale.

In addition, previous owner has finished checking his shed for any other potential RBM parts, and has come up blank. I now therefore have to decide whether I complete as a 1914 Model B or 1915 Model A (currently has parts from both)and pursue the parts required from Doug Penn in the USA.

Either way, that nice looking flywheel you see in previous posts will need to be replaced ie as it is missing its magnets, presumably removed during the external magneto upgrade.

Regards,
S