Will this 102 run OK?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Still trying

Will this 102 run OK?

Post by Still trying »

Hi I picked up a parts motor last Friday and then realized that I had enough spares in the shed to nearly make a complete motor from it.
parts motor ID.jpg
20170109-095013[286].png

Spent a couple of days on it as I have the time being on Holidays and all :P . Anyway, There was no ignition system just a flywheel and base plate I had a complete spare Villiers ignition so put it on got good spark straight away very happy. Gearbox was soaked in diesel over night and came apart easily all the parts look in good condition. Stripped motor down all water galleries clean etc. Had a spare exhaust tube so I fitted that cleaned it all up bit of paint and polish and it has come up OK few irregular things on it that need to be changed i.e. throttle cable, needs a fuel tap can you find more? Like the silly looking fuel pipe :roll: If so please let me know :oops: cause I can't pick em all. Anyway. the issue is it came with an Amal carb attached which I have cleaned and it appears ready to go and I am wondering what the chances are of it running properly with this carby?
amal carby .jpg
I am going to try and give it a run tomorrow in a drum and see what happens? Am I wasting my time?
parts motor left.jpg
Oh if your laughing at the mounting bracket the parts motor is mounted on I don't blame you its a bogie job I'll just remount it on the bracket the motor in the background is on if it goes on the tinny :lol: Pictures to follow
cheers
Collector Inspector

Re: Will this 102 run OK?

Post by Collector Inspector »

Ahh the wonders of Seaguling.

Even parts breed in boxes to once again flock together.

The Carby.........Closer pic and more detail.

It does look too "Thoaty" from a distance.

Norson - Amal from Ballarat?

Keep going!

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

Hi here are some photos of the carb I cant find any numbers to identify it but then again I wouldn't know where to look :P
amal close up 1.jpg
amal close up 2.jpg
amal close up 3.jpg
amal close up 4.jpg
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

It will start in a tub but it is too big.

There are numbers stamped into it somewhere.......find them and let us know.

We can then cross ref and find out what the body was initially set up for.

What is the Diameter of the slide and what is the number of it. The number is the cut-out angle with the diameter you can now measure.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The number is usually just in front of the clamp ring that holds it on to the cylinder.

The throat diameter is the important dimension.

The only certain way to find out if it will work, is to put some 10 : 1 in the tank, clean & set the points & plug, check for a spark & wrap a starter rope around it!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It look like an Amal 361, but its not what is fitted to the little model F, Anzani pilot maybe.
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

Hi there are no numbers imprinted on the carb body at all. The twin jet villiers I have has the id stamped behind the collar that attaches to the block but not on the Amal anywhere. The carb slide has a diameter of 19 mm. Length at highest point 23 mm lowest point (angle) 14.3mm. Hope you have been practicing the hypotenuse algorithm. :shock: still a mystery?
Cheers
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

Hi, after some research it appears (through visual images on the internet) the Amal single jet carb in question on the AD 102 is a #316 (thanks Keith P) and it is originally from a (BSA Bantam D1) motorbike manufactured from 1948. The BSA Bantam D1 was a 125 cc bike with a power rating of 4.5 bhp or (3.4 kW) for those that understand kw, I know I don't :roll: The BSA Bantam motor set up ( fuel tank to carb) seems to explain the top fuel feed to the fuel bowl as seagulls are bottom feed due to tank and carb location.
top fuel feed.jpg

Were these fitted to seagulls at all or is this a very old compromise that happened while one owner throughout the decades had to many Old Scrumpy Ciders and thought bikes stuffed but it can help me go fishing and fitted the carb and away he went. Will give it a run tomorrow, went fishing myself today instead of trying to start the motor and ended up dropping into the fish and chip shop on the way home for dinner :cry: You blokes in the UK probably know lots about the BSA Bantam but they are rare in AUS so please excuse my rant about them. :P
cheers
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

No, its not original, but things get damaged and changed over time.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I suspect that the engine will run, but perhaps off tune. I have a spare carb I think if you want it. A very similar carb was fitted to both Ferrier and Britannia outboards. Any carb can be fitted as a stop gap as long as it can provide the right dose of fuel, and the inlet is around the same diameter.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Interesting.... i have what i term a slight "bitsa" very close in the serial number to this one in the 24000 numbers, almost identical but with a clutched box. (and with the right bits on it i think!)

Keep going with it. You might be pleasantly surprised with it. Tough as old hob-nail boots these 102's.

If it refuses to run happily you can always refit a correct 46n 2jet carb. (plenty of those around at the moment) I had a sneeky suspicion your carb might be from a motorcycle of some description. It would appear to be another one of those historic "make do and mend" with whatever comes to hand efforts. (seen dozens of those by now)
The rest of it looks pretty good so far, nice work :P

Jon
Still trying

Post by Still trying »

The answer is yes :lol:
AD BSA running.jpg
With a lot of choke - hand over inlet rotating motor by hand - it started second pull but did not pump water :| whoops had a think and realised I forgot to flush out cooling pipe in exhaust tube anyway back flushed with garden hose and the crap and brown coloured water came out. Started it again and all good water flowing well.
ad running.jpg
Now the BSA Bantam carby seemed OK. Motor ran good decent rev range, smooth, standard amount of smoke no splutter except from me and shut down easily.
AD BSA carb.jpg
I suppose the real test is when it is under load on the tinny in the river to see if it operates correctly when on the water. Anyway, its been an interesting job I'll try and do a video and put the link on the forum when I get it on the water. Might help someone who has got an old BSA in the shed to put it to use :lol:
cheers and thanks for sharing your knowledge
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

Nice work Still trying and we are glad you are up and running. Give it a trial run and if it is ok bring down to the Seagull Nationals being held at Port Macquarie NSW early March. Dee and I are taking our CPCL out for its Maiden Voyage on a twin hull tender we bought a long time back. Let me know if you need more details.
We live in Coopernook NSW the Hub of the Universe, well ours anyway!
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Good job on the 102.
Going by one of your photos, I also bought an outboard, from the same bloke.
Unfortunately, mine is not in as good a condition. ( Non Seagull )
I have stripped it down, to begin the resto.
let the fun begin. LOL
Hope you get yours out on the water soon.
Cheers,