BMB Outboard

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: BMB Outboard

Post by AusAnzani »

Oyster 49 wrote:Charles, the swordfish also has one piece cylinders.
If I'm not mistaken, the more recent Swordfish models also had a hexaganol metal plate/cover over the end of the barrel to help protect the spark plugs. The earlier barrels did not have this cover and hence were of a slightly different shape.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yes the two piece head/barrel set up is from the Au made Triton. Mikes motor that now belongs to Steve G has these on what is an original Mk2 (after the first light twin). The first version with water cooled muffler. Not many around with the prop pad cooling system....like the Sea Sprite S 8)

I posted about them before the last server crash so pics. (Purchased Jan 3rd 1960 Triton) on the left and 1963 Swordfish on the right.

15122010083.jpg
Rest of pics self explain......
18122010122.jpg
Triton 3.jpg
Triton 4.jpg
I have just placed some info in general for a Triton on:

http://s401.photobucket.com/user/collec ... n%20Triton

This particular engine on my rack was purchased on the 3rd of Jan 1960. That was a Sunday as I was born into this blue orb on the 2nd which yay.......kept Mum frm enjoying the weekend aye!

BnC
[/b][/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Thanks ferrier 120. . Those are great pictures. The front head and carby cover casting looks very interesting. I don't know how I can find one, or get one made. I will need to ponder on it for a while.
Yes the triton is quite different. I have one of those also. I think I also have the other Britannia with the one piece cast heads.(dismantled.)
I may have too much stuff, and need to look through it.
Cheers
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Thanks Collector Inspector, for posting about the triton. My one is due for some love, and its good to get some info about it . I need a starter pulley, and the plate under it. Also, the carry handle bar .
It is a bit down the list ATM, as I need to Finish my Sea Sprite, and a couple of others, that Im part way through.
Cheers.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Nice work Bruce.
The green tanked picture is what I believe a Pomme would call a MK 3 or 4 Swordfish, made somewhere toward the end of the Swordfish production era of 1950 to 1957.

Sorry I don't have enough knowledge to add very constructive info though I've never seen that chrome looking wraparound tube stuff on any of the BMB's I've seen over here (probably over 30 of all models).
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Charles uk wrote:Nice work Bruce.
The green tanked picture is what I believe a Pomme would call a MK 3 or 4 Swordfish, made somewhere toward the end of the Swordfish production era of 1950 to 1957.

Sorry I don't have enough knowledge to add very constructive info though I've never seen that chrome looking wraparound tube stuff on any of the BMB's I've seen over here (probably over 30 of all models).
Sorry if not clear. The chrome ring one is a 1960 Triton....with the green tank.

As far as Swordfish go this is 1963. There were two tank colours all of them being Blue.......then a choice of green sprayed over the top if that makes sense.

My 1963 Swordfish..........

DSC03821.JPG
DSC03820.JPG
DSC03819.JPG
DSC03818.JPG
DSC03817.JPG
I have the sale docket. 1963.

Regards

BnC[/color][/b]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Your Triton looks almost identical to the Swordfish I was describing, the same colour green, tank right down the cut out for the head.

What ignitions do these 2 have? as I'm told the MK 1's had Villiers, MK 2's Wico Pacy, If your Triton is the same as a MK 4 Swordfish it should have a Wipac & scoop cooling not the a vacuum prop.

With a bit of luck one of our UK readers will have one & can post some pics.

What are the serial numbers on these 2?
Ferrier120

Post by Ferrier120 »

Great looking Swordfish Bruce.
The Swordfish was launched in 1950, and according to the brochure, it was the same as the Britannia but with a few extra bits - basically the delux version. The Swordfish had advance and retard plus a water pump cooling system and came in a choice of three colours:- light green, cambridge blue or sky blue.
Of the Swordfish I've seen, all have had Wico Pacy ignition, although an instruction book does state Villiers was also used.
I have a Mk3 (tank same colour as Mk4) which has the solid head cylinders, and a Mk4 which has detachable cylinder heads - photo below. Production ceased in 1957.
Attachments
SFish MK 2.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Thanks for that Ferrier, so I got the cooling method completely wrong, it shows how dangerous a little knowledge can be!

I assume Bruce's parts picture shows a cooling system the same as a Swordfish.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've often wondered why anybody would use that forced water flow cooling system. There's no tell tale so no idea if it is working!
notav8

Post by notav8 »

I would assume it was easier, and a lot cheaper, to use the forced water system, instead of a water pump.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The vacuum prop system was quite delicate & would stop sucking water with even a small air leak anywhere in the loop, add to that tell tale is not possible & you wouldn't know when you are in trouble.

The scoop behind the prop was the only forced system apart from the pumped Swordfish, & that could have one or two tell tales.

Anzani also used the vacuum prop on several of their motors, so there must have been some positives!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Decals aside, it is very difficult to spot the differences between a Triton and a Swordfish unless you're looking at both of them side by side.

I have seen Tritons without the chrome ring around the tank and Swordfish's with, needless to say mods by the owners. in fact I have a Swordfish with a Stainless Steel copy of the chrome ring.

If tank has been repainted, and decals missing etc another way to help with identification is to look at the upper surface of the rope sheave. The Triton will have the ERL Logo cast in to it. That said, I also have Swordfish also fitted with an ERL Triton rope sheave in my collection, so not always a guaranteed way of identification.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:

I have just placed some info in general for a Triton on:

http://s401.photobucket.com/user/collec ... n%20Triton

BnC
8) Cool.

Great collection of photos there.

Thank you B

Regards,
S
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

There is a gold mine of info showing up in this thread. Fabulous! I've learned about a BMB model that I middle not know existed, and a config of engine I've not seen before 8)