SD 102

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: SD 102

Post by Oyster 49 »

Thanks :P That engine is the one that got me into the world of vintage outboards in 2010. Quite a few have come along, and been moved on. This one is a keeper for me, as it was my first 8)

I only use it a few times per year, but it is always fun, and it polishes up well. One of the best seagulls to own, a copper top SD. I'd encourage anybody to get one.

This is what it looked like when I got it for £25 in 2010 :lol:
Attachments
100_0071.JPG
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

You can't complain about that price, a nice project.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Fantastic transformation Oyster. I'm inspired 8)
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Hello everyone,
Got the engine in the post today, all seems good. It has more than I thought, Original army canvas powerhead cover, Spare spring, wing nut and plug still in factory greaseproof paper. even still has the clutch operation label on the lever in readable condition!
All I need now is a army transom as it came with all the fixings and support lug but no transom.

Jacob
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Sorry Oyster, I didn't realise that was the SD you had finished. I think it was all the brass and bronze and copper coolie this one doesn't have, confused me. :P
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

How about some some close up photos of the clutch label? Also would you photo and share the instructional book? I'd like to add to my photo archive. It will also be useful info for the SD register we are now developing.

Incidentally I plan to put all my photo archive on-line probably on photo bucket once I have gathered everything together. Good info for all then.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Will get pics up soon.
I don't seem to be having problems with the coil as some of you suggested but more so with the points. Using a multimeter both sides seem to be connected even with the points open. I think that because its all soaked in oil its not insulating properly.
Any ideas?

Jacob
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Oil is an insulator. Big box transformers on the street are full of oil. They are filled with oil as it conducts heat thus cooling. Nevertheless give it a good clean. What is the JM # please?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Can i mention a word of caution when it comes to publishing anything with the Crown Copyright on it.

DON'T DO IT.

Seriously.

If you must have copies, PM them or email across to those that require them.

You never know who might be reading what we post up on here.
The last thing we want is someone from the MOD shutting this site down all because we didn't ask for permission to publish something that technically isn't for the general public's use. The men in green camouflage get a bit touchy apparently.

Just saying...

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Good point Jon, cant see anything in the book about copyright, its dated 1944 though! I wont risk posting pics of it.
Would zooming in on just the pics in the book and nothing else be ok, There are some nice pics I could put on the WW2 pics thread.
Back to my SD, Its bad news, bad coil. fixed the points though after a good clean. Will have to buy a new coil.
I also plan to list some parts some of you will be interested in tomorrow.
Quick question, My SD has the storm cowl that just seagull on it but I believe it should have one of the brass tube like intakes, Is this correct?

Jacob
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Not necessarily Jacob.

Very early models (i'm guessing here) possibly in the 2-3,000 numbers, maybe a bit less, probably did have a brass "trumpet" inlet. Mine has anyway and it's within the first 500 motors that were produced. Something that i've struggled with on my data sheets is accurate information, or worse still a distinct lack in certain areas. Details like this are worth spending the time on in my view. However i've recently started seeing a few SD's well into the 8-9 000's with a brass trumpet too. I'm sure Hugo will figure it all out in time :P (don't worry Hugz i haven't forgotten about you, just a tad busy this end)
Going by my slightly later paperwork it seems that as and when this brass "trumpet" was no longer available the alternative part would have been what we see on countless thousands of post war102's. No choke, cast aluminium up draught with SEAGULL. Paperwork actually shows me as much with any revisions. Exactly how many SD's were made with a "trumpet" is yet to be discovered.
It could be that ALL the SD's originally came with a "trumpet", although it's not unusual to see one with a cast aluminium cowl fitted to it either.
Your's being a fairly high number i would leave as is for now.

What do your pictures in the manual show you? Brass or aluminium?

Might be worth double checking the carb numbers as well to see if it's had a "swap" at some point.
You're looking for 46 A/3A stamped into the carb body somewhere. This should be (i hope) the correct period carb for your SD. If it's got something other than 46 a/3a it's a later post war carb which might possibly be connected with the different inlet cowl that yours is currently wearing. Now, this is where things get a bit tricky.
Early on in production it seems there was a brass version of the type 46 Amal. This brass carb/float bowl & bowl cover, along with the brass "trumpet" i believe is what was produced on the earliest models. It's also easy to assume that every SD that was made might have had a brass carb when it was packed inside its packing crate.As yet we don't know for sure. Some do and some don't. There's too few what can be called "truly untouched original" SD's out there to draw any firm conclusions from. As production moves along i think these brass carbs are at some point superseded by the aluminium versions, but as with a lot of things i haven't been able to verify much of this. According to the '62 paperwork the diagrams very clearly show a brass carb which is quite different in its appearance to the ally carbs BUT with an alloy inlet cowling just to add some confusion. As with most things, the more we look the more we find out.

I shall ask the question to my contacts in the MOD about publishing and diagrams etc. to see how we can proceed with this. But for now i would hold off. Tempting though it is to show some new information on here, you never know if there's some hidden clause we don't know about yet.
It can be a minefield when it comes to copyrights, especially when it's not your own to freely publish at will. Tread carefully is all i'm saying.

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Did you turn up any chrome trumpets Jon?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Whoops before Charlesp corrects me "Nickel trumpets".
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

No!

Straight brass "trumpets", cast ally SEAGULL (non choked), later SEAGULL PATENT (non choked), SEAGULL PATENT with choke, later "DON'T FLOOD" and a couple of oddball motorcycle bellmouth jobs. Nothing nickel plated so far. Some of them have been a complete hotchpotch of mixed up parts that i didn't bother to log any details from them.
Not saying there aren't any as it's perfectly feasible that someone may have "swapped" one from a Marston years ago as a quick fix for their SD.
You never know...

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Quick question regarding coils.
From what I have read I understand that the SD had 2 different types of ignitions.
BUT, the question is are the coils both the same as I have just found the other type in a box in the shed!

Jacob