8 COM Spark Plugs

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Re: 8 COM Spark Plugs

Post by Gannet »

Thanks for your comments, Nudge.
I have them apart and they are clean enough to give me consistent resistance readings. The issue is whether they have a resistor in their core and whether an open circuit reading from a low voltage meter is relevant to their reliability and performance.
I plan to fit them to an engine today and see if the open circuit ones work.

I have had success in getting them apart by putting them in a vice and using an extended socket (1/2" BSF ie the 14mm spark plug size) with a very long lever and they then suddenly loosen -so far!

Jeremy
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

I found one of my 8 COM plugs had a fractured insulator. So I smashed it up to determine how the central conductor was constructed. The main core went from the tip to the HT threaded connector. It was simply loosely engaged into the bore of the threaded connector by approx. 1/8". There was plenty of diametrial clearance (probably about 0.010) between the conductor and the bore. This would explain the lack of electrical conductivity and also some resistance with some plugs. It would have no adverse affect on performance or reliability, which was my concern.
I have now run all of them for a very short period in the workshop on an FV. They all started on first pull and have been fitted to FVs. I expect - well hope really - that they will perform reliably in use. How can they possibly fail? I don't want a long list in reply to that!

Jeremy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Jeremy may I have the metal parts of your 8 com, as that will save me destroying one of mine, please don't throw them away.

Charles
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Any chance of a photo please Jeremy?
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Charles,
That's no problem as l never throw anything away! If you have got any of the internal copper sealing washer, I would find that very useful.
The internal costruction of the conducter explains the variable electrical conductivity of the plugs and the irrelevents of that to their performance.

Hugz,
Certainly, I will post one tomorrow. Obviously my description was a bit vague!

Jeremy
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Excellent. This is so exciting. Resistors were later installed to suppress radio interference (EMI) and the interference also affect solid state circuitry ie motor control mother boards. Not something a Seagull has to worry about. I believe carbon fibre replaced copper in HT leads for a similar reason.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I haven't got an old 8 com, just a very tired 7 com (twin electrode & very different shape).
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Looking at a 30's spark plug books, the inner core was steel, with an outer copper sleeve drawn over the electrode core and held in close contact, thus increasing its heat conductivity, so nothing to do with the spark, but for removing heat in the spark plugs core.
As a side note, suppressed plugs are already available in the 50's, and radio screened plugs are the fully enclosed military type plugs.
Even found spark plugs for diesel engines that use a spark ignition system.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That's interesting. I wonder if valve (glass tube) radios where more prone to interference than transistor radios?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

See how Marconi's transmitter worked.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I'm still working out how a string and two cans work!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Is this what you are talking about?
Capture5.JPG
This is the 8COM that I cooked to get apart. It did work after I cooked it, but I wanted something to find top dead center. :roll:
WIN_20180214_21_51_50_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180214_21_52_24_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180214_21_52_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180214_21_53_08_Pro.jpg
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hugo,

Here is the photo of the stipped down/ smashed up 8 COM, showing the central conductor and the top electrical conection into which the central conductor goes.
I have also e mailed the photo to you directly.
8 COM Spark Plug.jpg
Jeremy
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Nudge, I would say that that is too flimsy to find TDC, i borrowed something similar to do my Marston timing and it was a M10 bolt threaded through the nut part of the plug.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Excellent, thanks Jeremy. The join of the connector and the electrode does seem to be a weak point. You would think it would be threaded or similar. A bit of arcing there would cause pernament problems. I'm assuming the electrode assembly was fired (in kiln) within the porcelain. Not as l imagined.

I just use a screwdiver to find TDC. Am l missing something?