A 40 Plus Mk2, my next project

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Re: A 40 Plus Mk2, my next project

Post by Hugz »

Out of curiosity I attached a seagull motor to my drill press with one little squirt of WD40 for 15 minutes to see what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vruJvqXxC8o

I still cannot embed a vid! Can someone do it for me and tell me how? Thanks.
Last edited by Hugz on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Well didn't expect that, what was the crank like any signs of blueing (Heat), what was the drills speed? Guess it proves they are one tough motor, still couldn't do that to one of my motors you must have a ton of spares laying around.
John
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Haven't pulled it apart yet. 400rpm. Definitely something untowards happening after about five minutes. Only mildly warm. I thoughts the rings would start to bind. I probably should run it for longer until it collapses.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Why would you want to do that, will have to report you to the RSPCA. :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I bought an SD that didn't have a spark, from a chap who'd tried every trick in the book to get it sparking apart from remove the flywheel as he didn't have a coolie hat puller tool, the most obvious sign I remember was filings in the top of the cylinder.

I was so pixxed off, as I thought I'd bought myself a load of SD spares or a repairable motor for the right money!
So I rang the vendor who explained, how he'd tried to re-energize the flywheel magnets.

What might be more dramatic Hugo, would be is see how long it will last with no oil in the fuel on the back of the boat!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Can picture what happened and the surprised look on his face lucky the flywheel didn't let go, think we have learnt
something here. Hugz has too many Seagull spares. :cry:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Great bit of work Hugo, would an ammeter connected to the drill press give a visible indication of when it starts to get harder to rotate your Seagull at 400 RPM, i.e. when the friction rises & any damage might start to occur?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

:lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

John, don't worry the barrel is cactus and the crank and case are plentiful. All other parts went to refurbishing other motors ie box, carb and mag.
Somebody else can run a motor on the back of a boat without oil if they so wish. Are you volunteering Charles? I cherish my working motors and don't like rowing. I think it would just slowly grind to a stop. I would need a tong/clamp meter which l don't have to check current of drill motor under duress. Probably wouldn't work as l have slackened off the belt drive so that will start to slip when the torque gets too high. Shall l continue?
croweater

Post by croweater »

Hugz wrote:John, don't worry the barrel is cactus and the crank and case are plentiful. All other parts went to refurbishing other motors ie box, carb and mag.
Somebody else can run a motor on the back of a boat without oil if they so wish. Are you volunteering Charles? I cherish my working motors and don't like rowing. I think it would just slowly grind to a stop. I would need a tong/clamp meter which l don't have to check current of drill motor under duress. Probably wouldn't work as l have slackened off the belt drive so that will start to slip when the torque gets too high. Shall l continue?
Hugz; I know you love your Seagulls and wouldn't harm good parts.

Hope no one takes up the no oil test :cry:

african imp; sorry we went off track a little enjoy your posts hope one or two of my gulls will look as smart as some of your projects.
John