Wood Boat Plans Arrived

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Wood Boat Plans Arrived

Post by Collector Inspector »

Crickey, a bit bigger than I imagined but will be a fun project.........................then another boat trailer, no way is this a car topper.

Fast Skiff 12
LOA 11' 11"
Max beam 56"
Draft at DWL 5"
Displacement at DWL 450lbs
PPI at DWL 175lbs
Hull weight 150lbs (Maybe slightly less for an open fitout I am thinking about)
5 - 15Hp

The plan package and documentation is outstanding in detail, well worth the bucks.

You get links to help on the website as well when you purchase the plans.

http://www.bateau.com/index.php

Have a look.

B
Attachments
18122011466.jpg
18122011465.jpg
18122011464.jpg
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Wood Boat Plans Arrived

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks good Bruce

Here is a link to the study plans which shows a lot about the construction.

http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/FS12_s ... ?prod=FS12

I would say that it is quite a heavy boat at 150 pounds, so I would build with a view to keep it light.
Also they quote 4.5 gallons of epoxy, this amount would i feel build 3 boats of this size. So don't go out and buy a 5 Gallon drum because it is very expensive.

I would also not bother with the building on a frame method, it will take as long building the frame as the boat.

I have built a Bateau.com boat in tha past and it went together well.

Does this mean you will be getting a nice new jigsaw for Christmas?

Also buy some good quality fine teeth blades, they make all the difference less splinter and will follow the line better.

This will keep you busy for a couple of weekends. :lol:

Good luck

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Not sure I agree with H-A on not using frames as the "bulkheads" are part of the hull you have no choice about using them.
Hulls built on frames tend to be straighter than the stitch & glue versions & often with less holes to fill.

Though I fully agree with him on the amount of epoxy required, to build a 12 foot hull I would expect to use about a kilo of epoxy primer like SP Eposeal & a kilo of resin with a small quantity of coloidal silica & glue powder for filleting & glueing & 30 meters of 75 or 100mm woven tape for all the seams.

As for a finished weight of 150 lbs with 40 lbs of epoxy on their estimate that doesn' leave much room for 4 sheets of 6mm ply & 2 of 10mm.

Mind you, I like the shape & it is a planing hull.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote:Not sure I agree with H-A on not using frames as the "bulkheads" are part of the hull you have no choice about using them.
Hulls built on frames tend to be straighter than the stitch & glue versions & often with less holes to fill.
Horsley-Anarak wrote:I would also not bother with the building on a frame method, it will take as long building the frame as the boat.

H-A
The designer say that there are two methods of construction "stitch and glue" and "stitch and glue on a jig".
Both methods will have the same number of holes, and with such a short boat with such a large number of hull shape components it would be hard to build a twist into it.

I personally would not use the jig.

H-A
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I have asked for a new jigsaw for Christmas.................great idea!

I think that the weight is from the glassed bottom and glassed inside bottom.

I am not going to do that as the largest engine to be on it will be either an Evinrude six (1966) or a Merc60 6hp (1961).

It will be low speeds on a calm river as a result so no real stress for a 6mm bottom.

While nearly all of my Old Dears are suited to displacement hull, I do have OMC 5.5s of various models as well as the sixes hence planing hull choice.

I had one of my Riptide 4hps on a displacement hull.................it just wanted to go faster but sadly no way of course.

Does that sound like a plan?

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Thats an interesting project. Would plane easily with those flat rear sections. Is there a skeg fitted to help keep the boat directionally stable at speed?

What would the ply and resins expect to cost in the UK?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

6 mm marine 5 ply circa £30

Epoxy £20+ a kilo

These are both "ish" prices, the most important part of the art of boat building is never adding up how much you've spent!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

I've an increasing interest in building something. Being 150kg I wonder I'd 1/2 " ply would be a good choice. What's considered a suitable thickness for being able to stand on? And for that matter seaworthiness?
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

Reckon their weight estimate is a bit out. My 10ft-er - which is only 2-ft shorter - weighs about 35kg, ply and glass/epoxy.

One or two layers of 6oz ought to be enough, if you are going to paint over it with marine-grade paint!

Weight is the killer with small motors, so aim to keep it light. As Colin Chapman once famously said, "Add lightness".
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site