Green Seagull

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

jonmac

Green Seagull

Post by jonmac »

I have a question that was raised in another forum. A gentleman states he has a 1950's Seagull, model unknown, that came off the production line painted in light green colour. Would this be true??? . . .jonmac :?: :?:
charlesp

Re: Green Seagull

Post by charlesp »

Anything'spossible, I suppose. But in the early fifties the moitors were predominantly silver. I have seen chrome plated 'shop window' examnples, where the tank and fuel pipes were plated, but the only painted ones I have seen were ones issued to the Army, which acqyuired an 'Army Green' olive colour during their service, together with stencilled numbers etc. These were the motors manufactured during the war.

The finish on the motors at the time was something the factory was rightly proud to extol as 'high quality', the leg and exhaust were chrome plated, the magneto was a polished aluminium, the carburettor a silver enamel, and the tank was their standard blkack which served as a trade mark.

I would be interested to see the motor, or a photo of it. It seems, to me, unlikely that it would leave the factory painted in the manner you describe.
jonmac

Post by jonmac »

Hey Charles, Thanks for the update. Possibly it's an earlier model than first thought or someone's pulling his leg in regards to it be original. If photo's of it ever turn up, I'll forward them on. . . . jonmac :D
chris

Post by chris »

I have had a couple of people say they have a seagull or are selling one and they only look like one
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

I have a couple of 102 cyl blocks that are painted in army green. ones of an AD and the other was a TD